For recording electric guitar, Focusrite 2i2 2nd or 3rd gen?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JMB238
Established Member

For recording electric guitar, Focusrite 2i2 2nd or 3rd gen?

Post by JMB238 »

hi everyone,

I'm new to audio production on linux and am looking to get started recording and tracking electric guitar. I've looked at a lot of commentary and, as far as audio interfaces go, it seems the FocusRite 2i2 is easily compatible with linux systems, despite the lack of official support from the manufacturer. Anyone else have experience with that interface, positive or negative, they'd be willing to share? From what I've read, it seems maybe 2nd gen is a little more linux-friendly than 3rd gen? But I've also seen some say 3rd gen works perfectly right out of the box too.

For reference: I've got an 8-core Dell laptop with 7.7 GiB Ram running Ubuntu version 20.04.2, 64-bit. I'm planning to setup Ubuntu Studio as well, so hoping the extra features/software make this process a little easier.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks all!
milo
Established Member

Re: For recording electric guitar, Focusrite 2i2 2nd or 3rd gen?

Post by milo »

I have a 2nd gen 2i2 and it is great. I haven't used a 3rd gen, so I can't say for sure, but your stated impression matches my general understanding.

You might also consider the similar 2-input Behringer U-phoria device, which is a bit less expensive than the Focusrite device and also works out of the box.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I don't have a Focusrite audio interface. But I see topics about them almost every day on this forum. Like you say: officially Linux isn't supported. I get dizzy trying to understand which Focusrite works with what kernel or in what way. See this topic for instance. I understand that you need a very new kernel for the Focusrite that is discussed in that topic. Your distro, Ubuntu 20.04, (probably) doesn't have a kernel that new.

I don't want to sound negative, but why per se a Focusrite? Something like the U-Phoria's from Behringer are class compliant and work out of the box. I don't know if they're suited well for guitar, but it does work (see this YT video). Most of 'm are dirt cheap and have Midas pre-amps which appear to have a good reputation. But then again, maybe they're crap compared to a Focusrite...
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:32 am I don't have a Focusrite audio interface. But I see topics about them almost every day on this forum. Like you say: officially Linux isn't supported. I get dizzy trying to understand which Focusrite works with what kernel or in what way. See this topic for instance. I understand that you need a very new kernel for the Focusrite that is discussed in that topic. Your distro, Ubuntu 20.04, (probably) doesn't have a kernel that new.
I've been using the 2nd gen device since 2016, and I was on Mint 17 at the time. Not sure what kernel that was, but you should be fine to use a 2nd gen device on any distro. Again, I have no personal experience with 3rd gen.

I recently bought a Behringer interface, and it works great out of the box. The Focusrite still works too, and I still like it. You have good options.
JMB238
Established Member

Post by JMB238 »

Thanks all for the advice. Just as a quick follow-up question: was it necessary to download any drivers/register the device on Windows before it was compatible with Linux? Or was it just plug-and-play in Linux?
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

My favourite for electric guitar is my Behringer UMC404HD. Just plug it in and go. High impedance available on all four inputs.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

My 2nd gen 2i2 has never touched Windows.
Fozzy
Established Member

Post by Fozzy »

JMB238 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:36 pm hi everyone,

I'm new to audio production on linux and am looking to get started recording and tracking electric guitar. I've looked at a lot of commentary and, as far as audio interfaces go, it seems the FocusRite 2i2 is easily compatible with linux systems, despite the lack of official support from the manufacturer. Anyone else have experience with that interface, positive or negative, they'd be willing to share? From what I've read, it seems maybe 2nd gen is a little more linux-friendly than 3rd gen? But I've also seen some say 3rd gen works perfectly right out of the box too.

For reference: I've got an 8-core Dell laptop with 7.7 GiB Ram running Ubuntu version 20.04.2, 64-bit. I'm planning to setup Ubuntu Studio as well, so hoping the extra features/software make this process a little easier.

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks all!
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen here working very well with Ubuntu Studio (both 20.04 LTS and latest 21.10). The audio quality is great.
Acoustic and electric guitar, 5-string banjo, mandolin, midi keyboard.

Ubuntu Studio 21.10. Qtractor DAW.

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen, Fender Mustang GT-200 and Vox AD50VT modelling amps. M-Audio Keystation 88 II.