Help with Carla on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

isbuck
Established Member

Help with Carla on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS

Post by isbuck »

I have just migrated my music computer from Win to Linux. Everything is working well. I can route audio / midi in and out of Reaper from VCV Rack, effects , other synths, sound sources etc using Jack/QJackctl. I having real difficulties getting the Carla routing engine to start. I start Jack and start Carla no problem. As soon as I attempt to load any plugin into Carla I get the message "Cannot add new plugins while the engine is stopped". I can see no way of starting the engine. I Know I'm missing something really obvious here and it's beginning to make me feel silly!
If anyone can give this old duffer a hand here I'd be more than grateful
Thanks Ian
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: Help with Carla on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS

Post by Toejam76 »

Maybe the autostart option is missing. Reaper should start JACK automatically (if you want that)
This is how it looks on my end:
Attachments
reaper.png
reaper.png (75.64 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
qjackctl.png
qjackctl.png (122.43 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

There is a menu at the top of Carla to start the Carla engine. Or for shortcuts press F5 to start the engine and F6 to stop.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

I just noticed that what I wrote is for Carla as a plugin in Reaper and what Largos wrote is for standalone use to avoid any confussion.
isbuck
Established Member

Post by isbuck »

Thanks Largos. When I open Carla Control from the Gui there is no menu option on any of the tabs to start Carla and F5 has no effect at all. I am beginninng to doubt my sanity! What on earth am I missing?
isbuck
Established Member

Post by isbuck »

Hi Toejam - thanks. I don't have a problem with getting Jack or Alsa to work -i it is just getting Carla to start so that I can use Carla as my routing engine. Am I missing something?
Ian
isbuck
Established Member

Post by isbuck »

SOLVED. And Thanks to all. It was my thick head getting in the way. I had confused Carla Control for Carla! We now go forward.
Ian