Replacing/improving my windows+voicemeeter setup?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SixStrings_Monk
Established Member

Replacing/improving my windows+voicemeeter setup?

Post by SixStrings_Monk »

I mostly play electric guitar trough a Boss GT-1, and use a Behringer UM2 + Sennheiser XS1 for when I fool myself into believing I can sing.
Being able to use mutiple sound cards would be great, but I could use only the behringer, that could have a decrease in quality, but certainly would worsen the noise ratio. Using the GT-1 as a soundcard there's no noise unless I use gain, pretty nice.
There's also my phone, either as drum machine (FL Studio/Zenbeats)/music player, or as controller (midi or via Touch Portal that isn't available on windows I've discovered...), or as drawing screen for teaching.

So, I'd need/want to use my 2 instruments, plus music from youtube and or phone, and midi or other source of control (keyboard keypads shortcuts would be fine) to change presets so I can swap either voice reverb/delay, or to control whatever I am using on the pc in place/addition to FL Mobile.

Does this make sense?

Basically, guitar, voice, backing, with control.
Able to send to OBS or alternative for recording.

Alternatives or simplifications are very welcome, thanks! :lol:
milo
Established Member

Re: Replacing/improving my windows+voicemeeter setup?

Post by milo »

Currently using more than one sound interface is possible but not easy on Linux. I have very little experience with doing it, but I think it is done at the ALSA level.

A few workarounds: 1) Plug your Boss as an analog input into the Behringer. As you said, this may increase your noise level. 2) Restart JACK with a different interface when you want to switch between recording guitar and recording vocals. How often do you record them simultaneously?
SixStrings_Monk
Established Member

Re: Replacing/improving my windows+voicemeeter setup?

Post by SixStrings_Monk »

Mostly the intention is to do it live.
I just don't know which of the many tools on linux can be hotkey/midi controlled to switch sound presets or backing track.

I set up the interface, can split the signal in jack, and guitarix/rakarack can be controlled it seems, but no idea about the voice + drum machine/backing track.