Linux Mint / Reaper / Roland Gaia SH-01 / How to get the USB-MIDI Signal?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kreuz Elf
Established Member

Linux Mint / Reaper / Roland Gaia SH-01 / How to get the USB-MIDI Signal?

Post by Kreuz Elf »

Hallihallo. Nutze seit etwa 4 Jahren Linux Mint, habe auch die aktuellste Version im Moment.
Jetzt möchte ich zum Aufnehmen gerne das MIDI Signal vom Roland Gaia SH-01 verwenden und als Aufnahmesoftware Reaper.
Ich weiß aber nicht wie ich das Signal in Reaper reinbekomme.
Von JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio etc. habe ich schon ein bisschen was gehört und ich habe auch
Reaper, JACK, QJACKCTL und PulseAudio bereits installiert.
In QJackCTL wird der Synth scheinbar erkannt (unter dem ALSA Reiter),
aber es sind keine Einträge wie "system" vorhanden, mit dem ich das verbinden könnte.
Ist meine Herangehensweise da überhaupt richtig?
In Reaper selber muss man ja höchstwahrscheinlich auch Einstellungen vornehmen,
damit eine solche Verbindung funktioniert.
Ich kann in den Einstellungen zum Beispiels PulseAudio auswählen,
aber bei JACK bekomme ich eine Fehlermeldung.
Last edited by Kreuz Elf on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kreuz Elf
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint / Reaper / Roland Gaia SH-01 / Wie bekomme ich das USB-MIDI Signal?

Post by Kreuz Elf »

In English:

Hi. I use Linux Mint for 4 years now and have installed the newest version.
Now I'd like to use the MIDI signal from the Roland SH-01 to record and Reaper as a DAW.
But I don't know how to get the signal into Reaper.
I've allready heard of JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio etc. and I have
Reaper, JACK, QJackCTL and PulseAudio installed allready.
In QJackCTL the Gaia SH-01 seems to be recognized,
but I don't see any entries of sort "system", which I could connect it to.
It just shows the GAIA and the Throughput channel and nothing else so far.
Is my approach to this the right way, anyways?
In Reaper itself I think one would have to do some configuring, too for this to work.
I can set PulseAudio in the Reaper Options for example,
but for JACK I always get an error message.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint / Reaper / Roland Gaia SH-01 / Wie bekomme ich das USB-MIDI Signal?

Post by sunrat »

As your device is recognised by ALSA, you need a2jmidid to bridge to JACK, then you should be able to connect it within Qjackctl. To make a2jmidid automatically when you start JACK from Qjackctl, add something like this in Setup > Options > Execute script after startup:

Code: Select all

a2jmidid -e &
To start Pulseaudio as well:

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2 && a2jmidid -e &
Edit - sorry I don't know how to set up Reaper either with Pulse or JACK. I use Mixbus or Ardour.

Here is what the Qjackctl connections look like running my Novation Nocturn49 via a2j to sfizz hosted in Carla to JACK via LSP PEQ:
Attachments
a2j-sfizz-jack_000.png
a2j-sfizz-jack_000.png (160.19 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Kreuz Elf
Established Member

Post by Kreuz Elf »

hm ok i installed a2jmidid and added the command in the settings of qjackctl but i still can't even start the jack server.

08:49:25.591 Statistik zurückgesetzt.
08:49:25.598 ALSA-Verbindung geändert.
08:49:25.609 D-BUS: Dienst ist verfügbar (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Cannot connect to server socket err = Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
08:49:25.703 Schaubild der ALSA-Verbindungen geändert.
08:51:34.617 D-BUS: JACK-Server konnte nicht gestartet werden. Tut mir Leid
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: Starting jack server...
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: ERROR: Cannot lock down 82280346 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: Acquired audio card Audio0
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: ERROR: ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: Released audio card Audio0
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Thu Jun 10 08:51:34 2021: ERROR: Failed to open server
Thu Jun 10 08:51:36 2021: Saving settings to "/home/<USERNAME>/.config/jack/conf.xml" ...
08:56:39.930 Keine Verbindungsaufnahme als Client zum JACK-Server möglich. - Gesamtbetrieb schlug fehl. - Verbindungsaufnahme zum Server gescheitert. Bitte sehen Sie im Meldungsfenster nach weiteren Informationen.
I think there are other things to be adressed first...
Kreuz Elf
Established Member

Post by Kreuz Elf »

Hmm. Maybe it would help to share a picture myself.
I'm assuming it should show an entry with a title like "system" that I would have to connect the midi signal from the Gaia to.
(Currently, the Gaia is not listed either but just because i haven't plugged it in.

One thing I changed in the mean time:
I installed libjack0 which seemed to be missing for some reason.
This lead to a change in the messages in the status dialog window of QJackCTL, but there is still a problem with Jack.
Output is now:

11:43:57.633 Statistik zurückgesetzt.
11:43:57.656 ALSA-Verbindung geändert.
11:43:57.660 D-Bus: Dienst ist nicht verfügbar (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
attempt to connect to server failed
11:43:57.780 Schaubild der ALSA-Verbindungen geändert.
11:44:05.134 JACK startet...
11:44:05.134 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:Generic -r44100 -p64 -n2
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
jackd 0.125.0rc1
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following line
and correct/add it if necessary:
  @audio          -       rtprio          99
After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.
You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!
11:44:05.231 JACK wurde mit PID = 4700 gestartet.
11:44:05.235 JACK wurde angehalten
11:44:07.261 Keine Verbindungsaufnahme als Client zum JACK-Server möglich. - Gesamtbetrieb schlug fehl. - Verbindungsaufnahme zum Server gescheitert. Bitte sehen Sie im Meldungsfenster nach weiteren Informationen.
I guess I could follow the suggestion of editing /etc/security/limits.conf but I'm not sure about that.
I looked at this file and it seems like everything is commented out with #.
Would I have to add the suggested line with a #, too or would it be added plain?
Also I don't know whether this is critical or just a suggestion for better stability.
Could it be I'm still lacking packages for this to work?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-06-13 11-50-36_Ausschnitt.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-06-13 11-50-36_Ausschnitt.png (50.18 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
Kreuz Elf
Established Member

Post by Kreuz Elf »

Okay I have something new to tell:
Turns out the edit of /etc/security/limits.conf followed by the terminal command

sudo usermod -a -G audio MYUSERNAME
was critical.
After doing this and loging in to my user I can now start the JACK Server.
This means I also have the entry "system" with the subentries "capture_1" and "capture_2" listet under the register "audio" in the Connections-Window of QJackCTL.
My question is now: What to do next?

In the connection window I'm able to connect The SH-01 with the midi through, but how do I get it connected to system audio?
Do I even have to make this connection to use the MIDI Signal in Reaper or am I assuming this false?