Synthesizers!

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

leeward
Established Member

Synthesizers!

Post by leeward »

I did a project in college that involved adding up some waveforms to make a synthesizer with a particular sound. It was cool, but also a very long time ago (I don't remember the name of the software I used, but it was on classic MacOS) and to the extent there was once code, it's gone now. I'd like to take a crack at recreating it.

Is there a standard way people tell synthesizers what to play? Ideally I'd like to make a set of patches people could use. The closest I've gotten to the user side of this is loading a different sound font for my drum set in fluidsynth, so treat me like I know basically nothing.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Synthesizers!

Post by Basslint »

Well, I don't think there is a "standardized declarative language" for synths - the closest things I know are CSound (text) and PureData (visual).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Synthesizers!

Post by sysrqer »

VCV Rack if you know the basics of how synths work, or you want to learn.