Cadence weirdness

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

polv
Established Member

Cadence weirdness

Post by polv »

It is auto-JACK, auto-PulseAudio to JACK at startup, but sometimes PulseAudio to JACK doesn't work.

This is Arch. I hope it is as convenient as Ubuntu Studio "Studio Control".
blockflute
Established Member

Re: Cadence weirdness

Post by blockflute »

I'm new at this myself so can't really offer any great insights. However, I have had the same issue. I tried Ubuntu Studio, and Kubuntu with just Studio Control and a DAW, and the Pulse->Jack bridging worked flawlessly ootb. I usually use Debian and SC is not in the deb repos, so I went down the KX Studio route and installed Cadence, but had no luck at all with the Pulse->Jack bridging. However, using Qjactctl with start and stop scripts is very simple and seems to work just as well as SC. I obtained the necessary scripts by booting a live AVLinux and copying them from there but they can probably be got from github or some such. They need a couple of basic audio packages to work but installing Cadence installed them as dependencies and I just left them. I will tidy it up soon; anyway, you probably have them too.

If you have not seen them yet, there are a bunch of videos on youtube about setting this stuff up by a guy called Unfa. He uses Manjaro so his info fairly likely to apply to your Arch setup.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Hi @polv,

if you are on Arch make sure to read these two pages:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/JACK_A ... ection_Kit
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Professional_audio

There should be enough info there to get your JACK + PA up and running.

If you want a quick recipe using Qjackctl:

This is the command I put in "Qjackctl Options > Scripting > Execute after jack start"

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
I guess (I'm not an arch user) you need pulseaudio-jack installed and disable Jackdbus (because the bridge is started with the commands above).

PS. I know there is Jackdbus that should handle this but I prefer this way, never failed me. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

polv
Established Member

Post by polv »

Of course I read it, but Cadence route involves NOT invoking jack-dbus.

Also, I literally uninstalled Qjackctl.

Currently, it does work well, but it involves a little ugly manual work.