Urgent help needed/Mint Cinnamon + Focusrite Scarlet, no monitoring sound.

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DispleasedKoala

Urgent help needed/Mint Cinnamon + Focusrite Scarlet, no monitoring sound.

Post by DispleasedKoala »

Hello!

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
5.4.0-72-generic Kernel
Interface is Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd gen.
Using Reaper and Audacity (for testing)

My setup is as follows:
Bass guitar > AMP > Scarlet with an XLR > Laptop

Few days ago I have purchased the scarlet and using this setup, I was able to both record and monitor myself through the laptop as I was recording.
I haven't had the time to play my instrument for a few days so I picked it up today and... I cannot monitor myself any more.

I have tried running Reaper with ALSA as before and I cannot monitor myself there.
Jack doesn't work either.
I haven't figured out how to use Pulse.

Using Audacity, the monitor and recording levels rise up as I play but no sound can be heard.
My question is - what happened and how do I fix it?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, thank you and please let me know if you need any more information. I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours and I've hit a brick wall it seems.

Thaaaankkss! :)
bluzee
Established Member

Re: Urgent help needed/Mint Cinnamon + Focusrite Scarlet, no monitoring sound.

Post by bluzee »

Not quite sure where you are trying to monitor from but a common mistake made is thinking the monitor sound can still come from the laptop head phone jack or laptop speakers. When you plug in a USB audio interface and use it for your input to the recording software the monitor is now the jacks on the USB audio interface. You can plug into the headphone jack on the USB interface or connect the rear monitor jacks to powered speakers or a sound system.
haast
Established Member

Re: Urgent help needed/Mint Cinnamon + Focusrite Scarlet, no monitoring sound.

Post by haast »

Do you see a loudspeaker icon in the tray? Right Click, Sound Preferences, check what is selected on the tabbed items, what do you see?