How far can distros like AVLinux or LibraZiX be modified?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

blockflute
Established Member

How far can distros like AVLinux or LibraZiX be modified?

Post by blockflute »

Another very basic question I'm afraid: if I installed, say, AVLinux, is it best left alone (at least until the next AVL update comes along)? I assume it would be ok to install additional software that is quite basic and has few dependencies, but what about something like a whole new desktop? Given that these systems have been very specifically configured for the AV packages they contain, it seems pointless to use them if I do something that messes them up.

I have been considering installing one or other (or both, perhaps Ubuntu Studio also) and having a dual-boot setup, but in some ways it would be easier to just use one of the AV systems all the time. I don't use the computer for anything that would otherwise be impossible.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: How far can distros like AVLinux or LibraZiX be modified?

Post by Basslint »

Not to steal users away from the great AVLinux or LibraZIK or to self-promote but the repo run by @joboschetti, @Kott and myself on openSUSE, GeekosDAW, is explicitly designed with the intent to keep the music stuff separate from other programs, so that you can you do whatever you want with your system :D
Last edited by Basslint on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

General: If you install for example another desktop via the package manager your Linux should remain stable and updateable.
If something goes wrong: If your "/home" directory is on a separate partition, you can reinstall the distribution - or another one - relatively easily/quickly.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

blockflute wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:52 am Another very basic question I'm afraid: if I installed, say, AVLinux, is it best left alone (at least until the next AVL update comes along)? I assume it would be ok to install additional software that is quite basic and has few dependencies, but what about something like a whole new desktop? Given that these systems have been very specifically configured for the AV packages they contain, it seems pointless to use them if I do something that messes them up.

I have been considering installing one or other (or both, perhaps Ubuntu Studio also) and having a dual-boot setup, but in some ways it would be easier to just use one of the AV systems all the time. I don't use the computer for anything that would otherwise be impossible.
I share your curiosity towards more programs and other desktops. I'd consider dual-boot installations a waste of time and disk writes in that regard and would rather run them as a live USB session or in a VM but do whatever is easiest for you.

Any software you may find in Ubuntu Studio or other distros around here can be added to AVLinux, either from a repo or by building it. There may be fringe cases but they can probably be solved.

AVLinux' antiX/MX base makes experimentation and system restores trivial. You can use usual system restore tools instead of course on a regular installation.

MX is practical for safe sandboxing because you either:

1) boot into RAM, experiment and learn, shut down computer, nothing is stored on disk
2) as 1) but decides to store changes made before shutdown
3) make a frugal install to a folder, copy and paste that base system to a new folder on the same disk, change the bootloader to add a pointer to the new clone
blockflute
Established Member

Post by blockflute »

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I'm having to rebuild my main computer at the moment anyway so considering adopting one of these distros (and I will look at GeekosDAW too!). I'm also considering switching from my usual desktop at the moment, so it's good to know that I could probably switch desktops with causing any particular damage.

I always have /home in a separate partition anyway (plus a backup of it, plus a backup of the backup) but one always ends up doing some tinkering with the base system so breaking it completely and re-installing is still a pain. (Ah, the good old days when you could break a system by running out of space on /var!) I've actually got my usual debian and ubuntu studio dual booting on my laptop at the moment, and AVL and LZK dual booting on an old laptop so I can try all of them out a little without it mattering what I do to them. I'll try adding another desktop to one of them. And I'll have a look at GeekosDAW, which is completely new to me, and maybe add that to the mix.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:D

You should install a large deskop via tasksel.

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

blockflute wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm And I'll have a look at GeekosDAW, which is completely new to me, and maybe add that to the mix.
Keep in mind that GeekosDAW is very different from AVLinux and LibraZik: it's a music repository on top on the regular (and very solid) openSUSE distro. The advantage is that we try not to touch any stuff that's not music-related, so if you use your PC for coding or working, it won't probably break because of us; the disadvantage is that it's not as integrated as AVLinux.

In other words, if you use your PC for other stuff other than making music, GeekosDAW is a good choice. Else, if you only use it exclusively to make music, a batteries-included system like AVLinux is probably a more suited choice.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
blockflute
Established Member

Post by blockflute »

Basslint wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:08 pm if you use your PC for coding or working, it won't probably break because of us; the disadvantage is that it's not as integrated as AVLinux.
I don't use it for work at all any more, just basic browsing and email type stuff and, increasingly, doing music-related things, which is why I thought I'd give one of the AV systems a go. Anyway, thanks for the info about GeekosDAW which will be interesting to have a look at.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Basslint wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 am Not to steal users away from the great AVLinux or LibraZIK or to self-promote but the repo run by @joboschetti, @Kott and myself on openSUSE, GeekosDAW, is explicitly designed with the intent to keep the music stuff separate from other programs, so that you can you do whatever you want with your system :D
Haha, there is no stealing... Only getting people set up with what best suits their needs whatever that may end up being, certainly not of any consequence to me whether that is AVL-MXE, Librazik, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu or anything else.. :wink:

AV Linux has a custom Kernel, some built in convenience scripts and tools and a small handful of custom packages (mostly plugins not found in any repos). In addition it has non-packaged bundles of Ardour and Harrison Mixbus that can be easily uninstalled as detailed in the manual..

Aside from this AV Linux is an unmodified Debian/MX Linux system that you should be able to install any Debian or MX Package or D.E. you want into.. on top of that the MX Snapshot tools allow you to easily add or remove whatever you want and create your own custom ISO as easily as a few mouse clicks.. It is infinitely scalable from an 'install and use' appliance or as a radically customized system modified however however you want.
blockflute
Established Member

Post by blockflute »

Brilliant, and thanks for the information.