MIDI to USB connector not shown in Carla

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

MIDI to USB connector not shown in Carla

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Hi,
I plug my master keyboard for the first time with this system (last time must be 5 years ago :oops:, with Musix, and it worked) and it does not work now.
I've search what could be the problem and didn't find, so, here are the useful (or not) informations I gathered for you to help me:
I've got a MIDI master Keyboard (my old Studio Logic 88, that I bought in 1997 if I remember well).
Of course (or for your own information if you were born late enough not to know it) USB didn't exist when I bought this master keyboard, so, I have an MIDI to USB connector (or converter, I don't really know the terminology), it's a Roland USB MIDI Interface UM-ONE (I prefer to tell that when I use a note or the sustain pedal, the MIDI in light of it becomes red, so the keyboard works) and aconnect detects it (it's partly in French, “noyau” means “kernel”):

Code: Select all

$ aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=noyau]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=noyau]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
    1 'Midi Through Port-1'
    2 'Midi Through Port-2'
    3 'Midi Through Port-3'
client 20: 'UM-ONE' [type=noyau,card=1]
    0 'UM-ONE MIDI 1 
I use MX Linux with JACK and installed pulseaudio-module-jack to easily deal with sounds from my browser and so on.
As you might know from the title, I tend to use Carla to manage connections.
So, I opened Fluajho to be able to use my keybord because it was the first I founded and it shows up in Carla, moreover, when I use the play button to test a sound, it works.
So, once again, you can expect it from the title: in Carla, there are no UM-ONE or anything like that and as I understood, it should be there to be able to connect it with Fluajho or anything like that.
I also tried to do something with Aconnectgui, but all I can do is to clic on the scissor icon or on the cable icon and it looks like it doesn't do anything, it's maybe because pulseaudio-module-jack render it unusable or it because of the same problems that makes that my MIDI to USB connector doesn't shows up in Carla, I don't know. By the way, I don't think I need Aconnectgui, but that's something I noticed during my research.
By the way, the virtual keyboard in Carla is greyed, I don't know if it's normal, but I didn't see anything strange in Carla settings.
Have you any idea of what I can do to make my keyboard work?
Last edited by Lèyon di li Neûris′ on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: MIDI to USB connector not shown in Carla

Post by sunrat »

Is a2jmidid loaded?
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

No, I'm installing it.
Je parle:
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-a trochu česky.
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member

Thank you very much!
It works!
I think I'll search how to start it automatically tomorrow, it's late now and I'm more eager to play on my keyboard now.
Je parle:
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-a trochu česky.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Lèyon di li Neûris′ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 am Thank you very much!
It works!
I think I'll search how to start it automatically tomorrow, it's late now and I'm more eager to play on my keyboard now.
There's a lot of good info in the Tips and Tricks subforum here. Both khz and myself have written setup guides, mine is more focussed on Debian Bullseye but much of it is generic information. There is a section on how to set up a2jmidid and pulseaudio module to start with JACK in Qjackctl. Very simple! :wink: