How to get started?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

cdysthe
Established Member

How to get started?

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I have introduced myself in the appropriate forum and now I'm ready to begin crawling and maybe learn to walk. I have a few keyboards including a digital piano. I have a Linux laptop with Ubuntu, lot's of memory and SSD storage. I now want to tie it all together and need somewhere to start. I installed Ardour on my laptop and it runs just fine. First question is, what do I need to start recording something? Do I need any hardware in addition to my keyboards? My laptop has USB 3, USB-c and even Thunderbolt. the CPU is a relatively new Intel i7 of some sort.I am willing to buy somethings if I have to. I have no idea how to get something from midi out into Ardour so that's how new I am. I have poked around and found numerous blogs and web sites dealing with this, but I have to admit I still do not know where to go and what to do first.

If you were new today but know what you do now what would start out with if you were to use a Linux laptop as recording platform and had some keyboards? I do not expect detailed explanations here. If I get pointers to online sources that you would recommend if you were new to this today that would be great. But I would really like to hear "Get this [mixer-box-interface-thing] and you will avoid a lot of trouble later". :)

Thank you in advance for help and pointers!
LAM
Established Member

Re: How to get started?

Post by LAM »

Hi @cdysthe,

if you want to use your keyboards as MIDI controllers just be sure to understand how MIDI routing works inside Ardour, configure it right, add a track with a plugin (like a synth or a soundfont) and begin playing/recording.

I would start from checking the configuration: https://manual.ardour.org/preferences-a ... l_surfaces

If you want record external audio sound sources, like your keyboards output, you'll need a soundcard with audio inputs, there are various posts in the forum where there are suggestions on this.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Ardour is very complicated - especially when it comes to MIDI. Cutting audio parts within tracks is also horrible. Qtractor is pretty much easy to setup for MIDI and Audio.
cdysthe
Established Member

Post by cdysthe »

LAM wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 am
If you want record external audio sound sources, like your keyboards output, you'll need a soundcard with audio inputs, there are various posts in the forum where there are suggestions on this.
Are we talking using an external sound card instead of the one built into the laptop? Just want to make sure I get it. I will read up on the pointers I got here. Thanks
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

We are talking about every soundcard with audio inputs. Obviously you need the right cables to connect your keyboard to your soundcard.
I doubt there are many laptops with a audio input except the microphone one.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

cdysthe
Established Member

Post by cdysthe »

LAM wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm We are talking about every soundcard with audio inputs. Obviously you need the right cables to connect your keyboard to your soundcard.
I doubt there are many laptops with a audio input except the microphone one.
Thanks. Looks like I just have to start reading. There's no Propellerhead Reason for Linux I guess. I would like to end up with something similar to what Reason can produce. A mix of instruments maybe percussion and bass also.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

TAERSH wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:16 am Ardour is very complicated - especially when it comes to MIDI. Cutting audio parts within tracks is also horrible. Qtractor is pretty much easy to setup for MIDI and Audio.
Ardour is complicated as is every highly capable DAW software, and it is still in development stage with MIDI editing. However, as a total n00b in playing and recording MIDI, I found connecting a keyboard and getting sound from a soft synth or sampler to be equally simple (or difficult depending if you're a glass half full kind of person) in Ardour, Mixbus, and Qtractor.
I agree Qtractor is better for MIDI editing and piano roll input. I would recommend setting up the rncbc PPA and using the latest version of Qtractor as other distro repositories are often several versions behind. https://launchpad.net/~rncbc
There's an Appimage too but that should be treated as a trial version as it won't update. Qtractor updates are usually important for new features and bug fixes.
cdysthe
Established Member

Post by cdysthe »

sunrat wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:39 pm
Ardour is complicated as is every highly capable DAW software, and it is still in development stage with MIDI editing. However, as a total n00b in playing and recording MIDI, I found connecting a keyboard and getting sound from a soft synth or sampler to be equally simple (or difficult depending if you're a glass half full kind of person) in Ardour, Mixbus, and Qtractor.
I agree Qtractor is better for MIDI editing and piano roll input. I would recommend setting up the rncbc PPA and using the latest version of Qtractor as other distro repositories are often several versions behind. https://launchpad.net/~rncbc
There's an Appimage too but that should be treated as a trial version as it won't update. Qtractor updates are usually important for new features and bug fixes.
I dabbled around in Ardour and yes, it's a long complicated maze it seems. I then got a demo of something called "Waveform" that may seem like an interesting mix of being able to play yourself, record and use synths and loops and such. These DAW applications are very different but it's hard for a noob like to determine what kinds music and setup they are intended for. I also wonder about if using my powerful newer Thinkpad adds any limitations to what I can do. I guess I need to spend a lot of time on on RTFM and YouTube and not bother you guys too much. :)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

cdysthe wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 pmThese DAW applications are very different but it's hard for a noob like to determine what kinds music and setup they are intended for.
I think it's important to understand that DAWs have such a learning curve because they are not intended for any specific type of music. They are general purpose told that are adaptable to lots of different types of music and workflows. That's why there is so much to learn up setting up tracks, busses, effects chains, signal routing, etc.