Can't even get Linux Native Plugins to work in Bitwig.

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rik-o
Established Member

Can't even get Linux Native Plugins to work in Bitwig.

Post by Rik-o »

Hello there.

So, I'm running Bitwig Audio in Manjaro KDE and so have got my little Akai APCkey25 working well with this mapping: https://github.com/osakared/apc-key-25-bitwig

However, before I even get onto bridging Windows plugins, I can't get Linux native Vital or any TAL plugins to run.

I thought I'd ask here as other Bitwig forums are not Linux aficionados.

The plugins are installed at /usr/lib/vst and /usr/lib/vst3.

In the Bitwig Plugin settings it's saying they may not be installed correctly. FYI I simply unpacked the tar or zip and cp'd them to their respective default locations.

Bitwig has an option to view the errors, which are:

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Communications error with plugin host process
exit code:1
stdout:
PluginHost: Reading VST 2.4 plugin metadata for /usr/lib/vst/Vital.so

stderr:
Xlib: request 55 length 16 would exceed buffer size.

It's the same error for every plugin. So what is Xlib? And how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
nils
Established Member

Re: Can't even get Linux Native Plugins to work in Bitwig.

Post by nils »

You paid for Bitwig, so you can expect technical support from their side.
Rik-o
Established Member

Post by Rik-o »

It's the demo actually; just trying things out Linux side before I commit. I'm assuming, by your assumption based remark that Bitwig--being proprietary--is uncouth, and out of keeping with the Open Source ethos? Is this forum about open-source as much as being Linux musicians? If so, my bad.
I thought I'd seen a lot of people discussing Bitwig and other paid DAWs on here, so thought I'd ask.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Rik-o wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 pm It's the demo actually; just trying things out Linux side before I commit. I'm assuming, by your assumption based remark that Bitwig--being proprietary--is uncouth, and out of keeping with the Open Source ethos? Is this forum about open-source as much as being Linux musicians? If so, my bad.
I thought I'd seen a lot of people discussing Bitwig and other paid DAWs on here, so thought I'd ask.
You're ok. There are other Bitwig users here. I don't even use Linux software to make music. I use Windows software via Wine. But yeh, most users are probably making music with open source software.

Anyway, if you'd have paid for Bitwig then you'd want to be getting your money's worth and asking them for help. I think that was probably the point being made. I think it's worth a shot messaging them anyway. It might be easy for them to solve and they can potentially get a sale out of it. They'll want to make a good impression on a new user, I'd have thought.

By the way, are you using Jack? Bitwig doesn't like Jack. I'm pretty sure I had to disable it and use ALSA when I tried it. I mean if you've already got audio working then it's probably something else. Just might be worth a shot though. I've no other ideas, sorry and good luck ;)
Rik-o
Established Member

Post by Rik-o »

Hi there, thanks for the input.
I got it sorted (update :oops:), now I'm getting a strange white noise rising sweep only when using plugins (linux native). I've contacted bitwig to see if they've got anything to suggest. I've been using ALSA, and the artifact is there whether I'm using my audio interface or built in sc.
I'll be interested to test Bitwig on my big ol' mac pro cheesegrater when I get back to it. I've never had any noise artifacts, or plugins crash in Ableton live on OSX, which is making me think, why bother. I'm just keen to get away from OSX and Windows and their questionable ethics.

Another noob question; one thing I was wondering, is why aren't OSX plugins used in Linux? Or are they? I'm aware of Darling, and thought with OSX and Linux both being Unix based, how comes it isn't something I've seen being discussed or done.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

You'll have to play with samplerate and buffer settings etc. I'm not sure what's going on with your system but someone more clued up can probably help. What tweaks have you done to Manjaro to make it more suitable for music btw, or have you not? I can help you with that if needed.

I know how you feel anyway. I came to Linux for the same reasons. I'll be honest, it took me a few goes to stick with it. The main issue was just learning to do things a different way and accepting that's what it was. I'm so glad I did now but it was tough going for a little bit there. I'll share two important things with you incase I haven't already mentioned them:

1. Make sure to set up Timeshift incase your system breaks or you mess something up. Being able to so easily revert to a system backup like that is amazing and was one of the things that got me to stay on Linux this time round (It wasn't available/I didn't know about it in previous trials).

2. I think you've already got the idea with this one but I'll say it anyway. Get into using Linux software and don't rely on running Windows software via Wine. It takes a while to find alternatives to what you're used to using and that was half of the struggle for me, but it's worth it and will make your life better. And yeh, sounds funny coming from someone who makes music with Windows software via Wine, I know :lol: But that's the only non Linux software I run other than games. I can just never find a good enough replacement for my DAW..