What Linux dist could i use?¿

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Re: What Linux dist could i use?¿

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Death wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:07 pm
Lèyon di li Neûris′ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 amMint is not Ubuntu or Debian.
Last I checked, Mint is based on Ubuntu and they also have a version that's based on Debian.
Sure it is, but “based on” doesn't mean it's the same and, in that case, it is not (it rarely is, by the way).
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.
Philotomy
Established Member

Re: What Linux dist could i use?¿

Post by Philotomy »

lilith wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 pm How stable is Manjaro compared to Debian / Ubuntu? I read quite often in the past days that you break your system much more easily with Manjaro.
With any rolling release distro you need to be aware of the possibility of "breakage," but there are several things you can do to minimize the possibility. Use the package manager as much as possible (i.e., don't install stuff manually unless you have to). Review the "news" for the distro before running a system update (e.g., I take a look at the Arch news page every time I get ready to run 'pacman -Syu' on my system -- they always tell you if there's something that you need to do or check manually before updating). Stick with open-source drivers as much as possible (e.g., prefer an open source video card driver over a proprietary driver). If you follow those practices your chances of system breakage are very, very small.

I've been running the same installation of Arch for years, and I can count update-related issues on one hand. And even most of those were when I was using a proprietary video card driver. The last time I had an actual "breakage" was due to some database software that I manually installed (i.e. outside of the package manager) with its installation script. It screwed up the /usr/lib64 directory and caused the system to fail (kernel panic) the next time I tried to boot. I booted from a USB image, found and fixed the problem with /usr/lib64, and went on my merry way.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2