new to linux but mind blown

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stanleyt29923

new to linux but mind blown

Post by stanleyt29923 »

Im compleatly new to linux, like 4 to 5 hours new, ran across ubntustudio on the web and wanted to try itso i installed it on a secondary ssd but unfortunately windows corruptedmyubuntu install and mymain windowsssdwhen i wet to switch back (i think someone was jealous and possibly on their rag) so i finally got fed up with windows , the speed (or lACK THERE OF) and tired of corrupted files all the time. i lost a years worth of music ive created from that drive getting corrupted. lucky i had at least some mp3 files rendered but they were not the master files so ill have to re track all thAT crap over again re mix then re master it all. i had a bunch backed up to cloud. although i love ubuntustudio so far from what i have seen i also know its limitations like no protools, i learned on pro tools and its what i know best. but i am also fluent on reaper ad i know i can install reaper pn linux but imnot certain on how. any advice you guys can give on third party installs or just general advice or tips u wish you knew when you first started
milo
Established Member

Re: new to linux but mind blown

Post by milo »

Whoa! Sorry about all of that data loss. Every time I hear a story like that it makes me want to be a little more vigilant in my backups. I hope the rest of your Linux migration goes more smoothly than the first 4-5 hours did. Ouch!

In general Linux users tend to be tinkerers, not afraid to change configuration files or use the command line here and there. You don't have to be a guru or super-user to succeed on Linux, but you do have to like tinkering.

I'm not a Reaper user, so can't help you there.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

Installing Reaper in Linux is quite easy once you know where's the information. Here is the download link:
https://www.reaper.fm/download.php#linux_download

You simply uncompress the file wherever you want it (you uncompress it with the command tar, if you're unfamiliar, the exact command is

Code: Select all

tar xf thefileyoujustdownloaded
), then locate the file called "reaper", click on it, and you're running.

This is like the basic install, but there are more things you can do. For example, if you want to have a desktop icon and all that stuff, check the readme file included.

As you're so new, I don't know if you're aware that you have to initiate a program called qjackctl before starting Reaper. What qjackctl does is allowing all different audio programs to talk to each other, and for some of them, like Reaper, it is a requirement to use it (otherwise you'll get an error)...

This is what I know, I'm not the megaexpert but hope it's enough to get you started... Welcome to the messy world of Linux (for many, quite better than the creepy worlds of Windows and Mac. To each their poison... :lol: )
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

stanleyt29923 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:54 am lucky i had at least some mp3 files rendered but they were not the master files so ill have to re track all thAT crap over again re mix then re master it all.
I had a drive fail, but the local shop recovered the data OK. It took 5 days chugging away
on the bench to restore a terrabyte drive. Cost $35

I used this utility myself on a different drive:

https://recoverit.wondershare.net/ad/da ... qEQAvD_BwE

it recovered the data, also slowly, but lots of it was un-named
so I had to use my wits to find the songs by size
and filemanager features.

I name a reaper folder like .v6 (with it extracted inside as nachei mentioned)
I start qjackctl, configure as needed

run command: a2jmidid -j default

start reaper with command: .v6/reaper

Reaper will autoconnect to the above midi. (it's in the middle of 3 tabs in qjackctl, and you might
have to also connect the l/r in the alsa tab on the right, depending on your midi gear.
It's configuration file will be in:
/home/you/.config/REAPER ...make sure to enable viewing hidden files in your filemanager settings
thunar by default, pcmanfm is a good filemanager to add.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A pro-tools 'lifer' became disgruntled, and set out to code his own linux effects,
which became the Calf Effects, excellent, dozens of them, all with great gui's.

Google kx-studio repository ...you'll find a list of cut/paste commands to get it in
your Synaptic package manager, it will offer some excellent software that's been developed
for years in many cases.

My linux favs are
Hydrogen drum machine
Rakarrack multi-effects
Yoshimi 16 part multi-timbral synth

U-he, discoDSP, Modartt Pianoteq are among excellent commercial products
with linux versions. Free synths Surge, Odin2, and Vital are all excellent.