Ardour Audio/MIDI Settings for newbie?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nometa

Ardour Audio/MIDI Settings for newbie?

Post by nometa »

I've installed Ardour and JACK Audio and trying to run the software. I kinda test things out myself and go for JACK audio system with ALSA driver. With ALSA, I know I will not be able to listen to any sound other than in Aldour. I have to mute Youtube videos to watch tutorials.

Also, I don't know how to use drivers other than ALSA. I really don't know the difference between OSS, FreeBoB, FFADO, NetJACK and dummy, all of them. But I guess they're use for recording stuffs.

I don't need to record instrument. It would be nice if I can play MIDI or samples using my keyboard (I mean, typing keyboard, not instrument keyboard) But I also want to enable the sound playback from Ardour, too. For sound other than in Ardour, I don't mind disable it, but it'll be great if I can listen to sounds from other source while I'm at it.

Any recommendation?
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Re: Ardour Audio/MIDI Settings for newbie?

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Salute to you.
In this video, it is talked briefly about using a computer's keyboard to play MIDI instrument with Ardour: https://tube.netzspielplatz.de/videos/w ... 57831b3f98 (sorry, I don't remember when in the video, but the rest of it is really interesting anyway, unless you specificity do not want to use Ardour).
There are certainly other ways to do it, but I don't know them.
God bless you.
Post-scriptum: mh, “netzspielplatz” warum nicht als mein PeerTube Instance werkt nicht Meer und die Administratoren antworten nicht mein e-mail. Oh, sorry for the German I switched to it (with certainly written mistakes) by reading that name :wink:. Edit: oh, I found a polish instance of PeerTube: https://peertube.tepewu.dev/
Last edited by Lèyon di li Neûris′ on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Ardour Audio/MIDI Settings for newbie?

Post by LAM »

Hi @nometa ,
you could watch this tutorial from @unfa that explains you the basics of Jack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEduGnD6ZKQ
The program he uses to configure and start JACK is called Qjackctl.
If you haven't already it installed you can find it in your distro repository.

After you manage to start JACK and have a working configuration we can teach you the art of PulseAudio with JACK. :D

To play instruments or samples with your "writing" keyboard there is a program called "Jack Keyboard" or you can use a similar program included in Ardour (from the menu Window > Virtual Keyboard).

in mix, nobody can hear your screen