I understand sound processing, now I want to do the same for video.

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arifd
Established Member

I understand sound processing, now I want to do the same for video.

Post by arifd »

So I understand all sound is a fluctuation of air density, oscillating within the audible frequency spectrum that can be seen as a composition of sine waves, consisting of a fundamental and its harmonics, and as such we can use EQ to tweak out any unwanted room resonances, use a saturator to add back in some more pleasant/warm harmonics. We can noise gate the quieter elements and compress the peaks to clean up the source and add some punch and stabilise the levels for a sweeter listening experience.

Now I want to do the same for my webcam, but honestly I don't know where to begin with researching, I don't even know the keywords I need to search for.

I know there are principles I can learn/apply such as exposure time, good lighting, etc. But for various reasons, mainly economic, I'm interested to learn what processing can be applied to 'sweeten' the image.

I want to fundamentally understand the concepts so that I can best apply what needs to be done in my individual use case.

My google-fu is not strong enough, however, so if anyone knows what I'm looking for and can point me to the right direction, that will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
nils
Established Member

Re: I understand sound processing, now I want to do the same for video.

Post by nils »

If you want to know the backgrounds have a look at these two videos:

https://xiph.org/video/

They go exactly like you describe, from audio principles to video principles.
arifd
Established Member

Post by arifd »

Wow, i love this forum!

I'm gonna need some time, it being Christmas and all, to absorb the content of the videos. Hope you don't mind if i come back with any questions! :D
luperoni

Post by luperoni »

You can also check out Scanlines at https://scanlines.xyz/ Great community of video artists and video synthesis folks

Luperoni
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

I would personally begin with static images manipulation so, dig into The GIMP, tweaking as much as possible and so on to have a sufficient background to work with videos.
I follow a linguist that is really into video manipulation and a keyword I caught from him is: “colorimetry”, I don't really know what it's all about, but it looks like an important keyword in that field (I feel like someone telling that wave shaping is a an important keyword in audio by telling that, but, that might be a research start point anyway).
Sorry, I can't help you further as I have not particular goal in video creation, I'm very sound focus, image is a lot less important for my brain.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.