GPL samples

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

132ikl

GPL samples

Post by 132ikl »

I found some samples but they are licensed under GPL. I'm not familiar with GPL for music, how would one go about distributing something using GPL samples? You can't really distribute the "source code" so it seems kind of odd to use GPL on something like a sample. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: GPL samples

Post by Michael Willis »

I feel like GPL is not a valid license for things like samples. As you pointed out, there isn't really any concept of sharing the source code, unless the samples are generated from something that can be edited. If you can contact the author of the samples, you might ask if they can be re-licensed, maybe with one of the Creative Commons licenses.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:28 pm If you can contact the author of the samples, you might ask if they can be re-licensed, maybe with one of the Creative Commons licenses.
Well, that isn't really necessary. The GPL requires the distribution of derivates in source format. For "wave" files, the source format is binary. That is not a issue. The very same is true for images witch are distributed under the GPL, a lot of apps do that for example for the images they use. Yes, source could be in the binary format if it is the lowest representation format for the data they contain.
So, you are free to use this samples and redistribute your work without hassle.
On the road again.
132ikl

Post by 132ikl »

@GMaq, could you weigh in on how this should be handled? The samples I am referring to are these: https://www.bandshed.net/sounds/samples ... ack-R1.zip
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I doubt that GPL is a valid sample license. But I am not a lawyer, and so far nobody in this thread said they were, so everything here might be just wrong so far.

Assuming the GPL is a valid license for samples then every piece of music you make with them must be GPL as well since you are releasing and distributing a modified version of the samples in a compiled format ( which is the piece of music).
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@GMaq
There is a special exception for samples licensed under the GPL, you would properly use that for the AVL-Drum_Samplepack.
As a special exception, if you create a composition which uses these sounds, and mix these sounds or unaltered portions of these sounds into the composition, these sounds do not by themselves cause the entire composition as a whole to be covered by the GNU General Public License. This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why the composition might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

If you modify these sounds, you may extend this exception to your version of the sounds, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
https://freepats.zenvoid.org/licenses.html
On the road again.