Piano + midi in Linux???

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

Piano + midi in Linux???

Post by NomadJago »

If I had one question I need help on initially, it would be how do I get a cheap or free piano (synth or sampled) working in MX Linux so I can practice piano daily using Linux and not have to boot into Windows 10? I really have no clue how to figure out JACK so I need something simple, no virtual cables or Jack. I have Ardour and Reaper for Linux installed. I also have tons of VSTs for Windows and I have used WINE before successfully. What is my best pathway to getting a piano sound on Linux for keyboard practice?

If I had a second question I need help on it would be where can I find nice instruments to use in Linux (Reaper or Ardour DAW etc)? I would even be willing to pay money to buy instruments for Linux. I do not really understand the equivalent of Windows VSTs, for Linux.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Piano + midi in Linux???

Post by tavasti »

For piano, I would download Salamander Grand piano sfz, and use it with carla, or get liquidsfz plugin tu your ardour.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

NomadJago
Established Member

Post by NomadJago »

tavasti wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:19 am For piano, I would download Salamander Grand piano sfz, and use it with carla, or get liquidsfz plugin tu your ardour.
Thank you! I will do this today!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

As you already have Ardour it's quite simple to run as a plugin host. Just create a new MIDI track, load a sampler, soundfont player, or synth and select your MIDI keyboard as input. For practice I quite like MDA Piano which comes with the mda-lv2 package. It's tiny, just over 3MB installed and the piano is quite realistic. You don't need to load any samples or soundfonts.
Of course the Salamander Grand is great for a free offering albeit a large download. Get it here - http://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/acous ... piano.html
Pianoteq is widely held to be the best soft piano although it costs money - https://www.modartt.com/
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

If you're looking for the "Linux native" equivalent of Windows VSTs, you'll need to look for LV2 plugins or "Linux VST" plugins.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
NomadJago
Established Member

Post by NomadJago »

sunrat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:03 pm ... Pianoteq is widely held to be the best soft piano although it costs money - https://www.modartt.com/
I am looking into Pianotek
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22450
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

And in case you want to turn back to Darkside, pretty many windows plugins are possible to make working also in linux. Sure, if you can live without them, your life is easier: sometimes wine version update breaks things, etc.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I didn't realize you could use sfz with carla. I've been using linuxsampler with qsampler gui and the previously recommended grand piano sfz. Works with ALSA or JACK and ALSA or JACK midi devices. My keyboard shows up as an ALSA midi device so I can use it with qsampler without having to start a2jmidid.

If you can figure out Windows VST then I think you can figure out anything.
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

bluzee wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 pm I didn't realize you could use sfz with carla.
You can, but I don't think Carla fully supports all the sfz spec. I've had better results with sfizz. But sfz in Carla should work for some cases.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2