Help needed with new setup

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kitosch
Established Member

Help needed with new setup

Post by Kitosch »

Hi,

I had been using Ardour with an M-Audio Oxygen M-49 keyboard and the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD plus Guitarix and more for years. While I never felt too confident after a longer pause, I always got it to work with little problems. Now the old computer just had to go and I got this new machine. So, basically everything inside the computer is new, everything outside hasn't changed.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to work with the new computer. When I didn't manage on my own (as I hoped I would quite routinely), I checked video and written tutorials, tried everything they say (low latency kernel, KX Studio, audio group, pulseaudio module, a2j etc.) it only seems to be getting worse. When I start qjackctl, it produces a never-ending stream of error messages, no matter what the settings in qjackctl.

I also don't understand the many entries (8, I think) as possible output options in the advanced settings although I only have onboard sound in the computer.

I'm beginning to be quite desperate ;-)

What else can I try? What kind of info should I share here?

Thank you very much in advance!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Help needed with new setup

Post by Michael Willis »

Please tell us more. Presumably, you are trying to use the Behringer interface and not the onboard sound? What are all of the output options? What numbers are you using for Frames/Period, Sample Rate, and Periods/Buffer?

Maybe the easiest way for us to spot something wrong would be for you to share screenshots of the settings in QJackCtl (including the advanced settings).
Kitosch
Established Member

Post by Kitosch »

Thank you very much for your reply. I will post screenshots as soon as I am back with my computer (could be as late as Saturday).

I think I've now tried all combinations under the sun between 44.1/48k, between 64 and 1024, between 2, 3, 4...

Actually, on that old machine I always had audio output via the onboard headphones, no matter whether the source was the Behringer (guitar, bass, mic) or the midi keyboard. Dumb question: could I monitor sound with the Behringer headphone out while my input source is the midi keyboard? I never tried that because so far I never had to, to be honest.

Thanks again. Cheers!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Kitosch wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 am Dumb question: could I monitor sound with the Behringer headphone out while my input source is the midi keyboard?
You will likely have better luck monitoring with the Behringer interface than through your onboard sound. On my music machine I disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS settings in order to avoid any confusion, I do everything through my interface.
Kitosch
Established Member

Post by Kitosch »

Oh, wow, it works! Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of using the interface instead of onboard sound. I still get an awful lot of entries in the "Messages" window but it works and I didn't get any xruns so far, so I better not touch it, I guess. ;-)

One more dumb question: I have to restart Jack every time when I go from recording mic or guitar via the Behringer interface to recording midi from the keyboard because I have to set the respective source. Is it somehow possible to avoid that and record from both sources without having to reset the source which requires a restart?
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

You should be able to make your midi connections while using jack audio on the Behringer interface. That is a USB midi device correct? I have a Keystation 61 which is USB that I use on rare occasions with jack audio running on a Behringer 404. If memory serves the keystation 61 shows up as an alsa midi device so to get it connected to some programs that want a jack midi connection I have to run a program called a2jmidid. That makes the keystation show up as a jack midi device as well as being an alsa midi device.
Kitosch
Established Member

Post by Kitosch »

Thanks!