Help with new Behringer UMC204HD

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brainsweetiesss
Established Member

Help with new Behringer UMC204HD

Post by brainsweetiesss »

Hi guys,

I'm newly registered but been checking this forum a lot lately. Last month I picked up my bass guitar again and been recording some stuff. What I did is buy a Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, which I was using perfectly fine on Fedora (Linux) using Jack/Cadence/etc.

Then 3 days ago I realized there was the opportunity to "upgrade" my Solo to a Behringer with a couple more inputs , so as I got hooked up and thinking of the future I decided it was a good idea to return my Solo and go for a Behringer UMC204HD. Today the new audio interface arrived and now I've been trying to set it up with some issues.

The first thing I noticed is that as soon as I plug in the bass to the interface , there's bass audio coming out, without having to open my mixing app. This wasn't the case with the Scarlett. I'm using Ardour for mixing and when opening the app I hear my bass twice now. There's almost no latency between the 2 bass outputs so it's hard to tell, but i'm pretty sure there's 2 bass sounds.

How can I get rid of that? I tried pressing everything related to inputs/outputs in Ardour but it's a no-go.

My second question is regarding using my studio speakers for monitoring/live sessions.

I owe a pair of Eris Presound 3.5. Until today I was using these speakers by connecting them through USB (never for mixing, just for listening to music in general), directly from the speakers output to my computer. The speakers have this double TRS cable (one red , one white) connected to the back, but with only 1 - 1/8 on the other end (I think it's 1/8?).

I saw some guy connecting this end to an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, and then plugging that to the back of the interface. To either the left or right output of the interface, so I bought this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1) and went for it. The adapter arrived but unfortunately I cannot hear anything coming out of the speakers.

Did I get the wrong adapter? Or perhaps I'm cabling everything wrong? Or maybe there's something with jack/pulse? There's so many places where this could be going wrong but maybe it's just something silly. That's why I'm asking for help :oops:

I'd really appreciate some guidance here. Thanks in advance!
brainsweetiesss
Established Member

Re: Help with new Behringer UMC204HD

Replying to myself.

The reason why I was hearing everything twice is cause I had the Mix knob set right in the middle at 50%. After moving it all the way up I no longer have this problem.

I still cannot get my monitor speakers to work though :(
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

brainsweetiesss wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 am Hi guys,

I'm newly registered but been checking this forum a lot lately. Last month I picked up my bass guitar again and been recording some stuff. What I did is buy a Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, which I was using perfectly fine on Fedora (Linux) using Jack/Cadence/etc.

Then 3 days ago I realized there was the opportunity to "upgrade" my Solo to a Behringer with a couple more inputs , so as I got hooked up and thinking of the future I decided it was a good idea to return my Solo and go for a Behringer UMC204HD. Today the new audio interface arrived and now I've been trying to set it up with some issues.

The first thing I noticed is that as soon as I plug in the bass to the interface , there's bass audio coming out, without having to open my mixing app. This wasn't the case with the Scarlett. I'm using Ardour for mixing and when opening the app I hear my bass twice now. There's almost no latency between the 2 bass outputs so it's hard to tell, but i'm pretty sure there's 2 bass sounds.

How can I get rid of that? I tried pressing everything related to inputs/outputs in Ardour but it's a no-go.

My second question is regarding using my studio speakers for monitoring/live sessions.

I owe a pair of Eris Presound 3.5. Until today I was using these speakers by connecting them through USB (never for mixing, just for listening to music in general), directly from the speakers output to my computer. The speakers have this double TRS cable (one red , one white) connected to the back, but with only 1 - 1/8 on the other end (I think it's 1/8?).

I saw some guy connecting this end to an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, and then plugging that to the back of the interface. To either the left or right output of the interface, so I bought this on Amazon (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1) and went for it. The adapter arrived but unfortunately I cannot hear anything coming out of the speakers.

Did I get the wrong adapter? Or perhaps I'm cabling everything wrong? Or maybe there's something with jack/pulse? There's so many places where this could be going wrong but maybe it's just something silly. That's why I'm asking for help :oops:

I'd really appreciate some guidance here. Thanks in advance!
Sorry, couldn't follow you. To connect your speakers to your UMC 204 you simply need two 6.3mm TRS cables that go from Output 1 and 2 of the UMC to Input L and R of the Presonus.
brainsweetiesss
Established Member

lilith wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm Sorry, couldn't follow you. To connect your speakers to your UMC 204 you simply need two 6.3mm TRS cables that go from Output 1 and 2 of the UMC to Input L and R of the Presonus.
No worries. Sorry, I realized my comments were a bit all over the place.

So basically two of these would do?

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/instrument-P ... r=8-7&th=1

Thanks!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

brainsweetiesss wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm
lilith wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm Sorry, couldn't follow you. To connect your speakers to your UMC 204 you simply need two 6.3mm TRS cables that go from Output 1 and 2 of the UMC to Input L and R of the Presonus.

Thanks!
Yup :)
brainsweetiesss
Established Member

lilith wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm
brainsweetiesss wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks!
Yup :)
I'll get a couple then.

Appreciate your help!