Help installing IO GNU/Linux to a pendrive

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Nachei
Established Member

Help installing IO GNU/Linux to a pendrive

Post by Nachei »

I'm trying to install IO GNU/Linux to a pendrive, following these instructions:

https://sourceforge.net/p/io-gnu-linux/ ... l%20howto/

I was hoping a paint-by-numbers operation, but it turns out I'm finding a lot of unexpected behavior. This is the first time I try to create a Live USB, so maybe the instructions take for granted basic stuff that for me is not so obvious. Could someone give me a gentle push in the right direction?

Firstly, they say:
# Assuming that your usb drive is /dev/sdc
$ USB_DEV=/dev/sdc
$ cp io-live--2016.04--e21-k4.6.3-rt-amd64 ${USB_DEV}
But when I reach the cp command, I get this error:

Code: Select all

cp: cannot stat 'io-live--2019.01--full-k4.19.20-k4.19.20-rt12-amd64': No such file or directory
OK, I asume it's a typo, the file should have the .iso termination, so I add it at the end of the file name and try again:

cp io-live--2019.01--full-k4.19.20-k4.19.20-rt12-amd64.iso ${USB_DEV}
cp: cannot create regular file '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
Another typo, I guess, the command must be run as superuser? (Unless there's something else I don't know about creating Live pendrives). So I do:

sudo cp io-live--2019.01--full-k4.19.20-k4.19.20-rt12-amd64.iso ${USB_DEV}
and then a copy process starts, and we seem to be on the right track.

The copy process takes ~20 minutes. Once finished I move to the next step:
When the copy has finished, create an ext4 partition in the free space of the drive with label: persistence
The accompanying image in the instructions:

However, in my case this is what I get:
10.jpg
10.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 811 times
In my case, the cp command has filled the whole pendrive, with a single partition, of a file system called iso9660.

I haven't had any luck with the alternative method using dd (it says "dd: unrecognized operand"). I thought I'd ask before tinkering around more with the pendrive, because like I say this is a new area for me. I'm sure it's nothing difficult, because I've seen several reports of people in this forum using IO GNU Linux without problems. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the pendrive I'm using is brand new, never before written to? Thank you for any help.
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Help installing IO GNU/Linux to a pendrive

Post by English Guy »

There is an app called Etcher that will do this
Nachei
Established Member

Re: Help installing IO GNU/Linux to a pendrive

Post by Nachei »

English Guy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:30 pm There is an app called Etcher that will do this
Thank you... Yes, I tried Etcher already, but I get:
10.jpg
10.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 801 times
I've checked the .iso's checksum (sha256) and it is correct, the file is not corrupt.

Besides, from what I understand from IO's instructions, its system to make it bootable is a bit peculiar, you have to put a persistence.conf file in the partition (when the usual thing to do, if I'm right, is giving it a "boot" flag), so maybe this generic approach wouldn't work. Any IO Gnu/Linux user out there who could give me more precise advice?