cannot get rid of XRuns

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

xaverius
Established Member

cannot get rid of XRuns

Post by xaverius »

Hi there,

I'm switching to Linux and trying to get my music setup running:

- Ubuntu Studio 20.10
- Bitwig 3.2.8 with Jack2
- RME Fireface 802 (class-compliant mode)
- Laptop Dell XPS 13 with 4x i7-1165G @ 2,8 GHz and 16 GB RAM

There are some few VST plugins that I'd like to keep and I installed wine 5.0.2, winetricks and linVST 3.15. I'm using the QJackCtl default setting. In Bitwig my VST plugins are scanned and can be used. Unfortunately, there are XRuns and I'm running out of ideas how to get rid of them.

What I already tried:

- I solved all issues reported by realTimeConfigQuickScan (all "good" now)
- I switched off Wifi
- I used a different USB slot

With one active VST plugin in Bitwig I get even XRuns with 44100 Hz, 1024 frames, 2 periods (46 ms latency). Without VST and only native Bitwig plugins I get it running more or less without errors with 44100/128/2 (5.8 ms latency), which is not satisfying (actually I'd like to go for 96 KHz).

I already spent a lot of time and started getting desperate. What could I still try to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Re: cannot get rid of XRuns

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Since you make the presision about "class-compliant" I suppose you're using it thru USB not Firewire?
If so at least try to check if using 3 buffers and 49 multiples (e-g 48kHz/128/3period buffers or 96kHz/256/3) stands any better?

(As for the VST weigh I guess it's quite plugin dependant and highly linked to which vst type and bridge it's using re. what the hardware inside your laptop is able to cope with and how it's achieving it, so it'll be highly stochastic ;) )

Elsewhat it may be some network syncs are running in the background or some "automated laptop energysavingstuff" goes funny at times?
xaverius
Established Member

Post by xaverius »

Thanks for your post!

Yes, it's USB and I'll try 3 buffers today evening. So far, I have two questions:
  • How ist e.g. 96000/256/3 related to "49 multiples"? A typo?
  • Could you provide a link or detailed instructions about how to find out if e.g. network syncs or energy saving stuff are causing problems?
xaverius
Established Member

Post by xaverius »

Setting the buffer size to 3 made it much better, thanks for that advice. I could get it running with 96000/128/3 with no VST involved, which causes a latency of 4 ms. But with my Macbook Pro 13" from 2012 (!) I get a latency of 2.7 ms at 96000 out-of-the-box with the same audio hardware. So, I still see potential for improvements. And if I activate a linVST plugin I don't get it running without XRuns at all.

I'm wondering if a distribution like Ubuntu Studio shouldn't avoid any resource-intensive daemons, services and processes per default. My system is freshly installed with only wine, winetricks and linVST added. Again, are there any detailed ideas how to go on? Thank you!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Just in case no further suggestions will work.
Try another GNU/Linux OS, perhaps: AV Linux MX Edition ?
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

xaverius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm Setting the buffer size to 3 made it much better, thanks for that advice. I could get it running with 96000/128/3 with no VST involved, which causes a latency of 4 ms. But with my Macbook Pro 13" from 2012 (!) I get a latency of 2.7 ms at 96000 out-of-the-box with the same audio hardware. So, I still see potential for improvements. And if I activate a linVST plugin I don't get it running without XRuns at all.

You're probably comparing different results since on the new one you're using 3 buffers so I guess you read:
(1000000/96000)*128*3/1000 ==> 3.999... ms
while on the previous, using 2 buffers instead you read:
(1000000/96000)*128*2/1000 ==> 2.666... ms

xaverius wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm I'm wondering if a distribution like Ubuntu Studio shouldn't avoid any resource-intensive daemons, services and processes per default. My system is freshly installed with only wine, winetricks and linVST added. Again, are there any detailed ideas how to go on? Thank you!
As for this part, I second your idea about what a music oriented distro named "Studio" should or shouldn't do and the other posters suggestions about trying some other distros at least for tests and easy comparizons of what or whatnot is tuned in each.
AV Linux was already suggested, I'd also would recommend a try at the fresh Librazic 3 but since ATM it needs an already installed debian buster it's a bit noodly for just a test and I'd think you may at least test a "Live USBkey" made with the ISO found at the LibraZic 2 repos:
https://mirror.lamacloud.com/librazik/

(On another note I'd add that unless you have very excellent (and non mystical) reasons why to use 96000 you'll certainly have a much cooler and responsive cpu mem and cpu at using 48000 ;) )
xaverius
Established Member

Post by xaverius »

Unfortunately, Ubuntu Studio with KDE Plasma seems to be the only audio distribution that supports my 4K touchscreen. AVLinux is based on XFCE and KXStudio on KDE4.

@Loki Harfagr Regarding the buffer size: I had to increase the buffer size to 3 to lower the xrun-free latency to 4 ms. And I just said that this is better than before, but still not satisfying (and compared it with the out-of-the-box latency of my old Macbook Pro).

Edit: But I'll give LibraZiK a try, at least to see how low I can get the latency there. A bit difficult to find reliable information, but it seems to be based an Mate desktop environment. I don't know if Mate can handle 4K touchscreens, but I'll check the latency.