Cheapish sound recording

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Riddle box

Cheapish sound recording

Post by Riddle box »

Hi
I am not a musician but I believe you who are as the best to ask.

I do alot of movies 6 camera set ups and got to the point I want to improve the sound. I spend alot of time in davinci resolve editing the sound in fairlight interviews mostly. But I spend ages removing noise then the tone to make it more natural.

I been looking at neewer pro sound board as it has 2 XLR sockets and I can use it to a pc as a sound capture device. However rather have a pc with a fan buzzing away do any of the usb sound boards work on Debian Linux.
I got it running on a touch screen attached to a tall mic stand however the little cheap eBay usb sound dongles don't give good sound. Which is why I am looking at the more expensive neewer gear.

I am looking to put about £300/£400 into this. I already have a few phantom PSU but I am totally unsure about Linux working as a audio recording solution.

Possibly a raspberry pi 4.

Also other than audacity is there anything better for recording people talking with?

It's just a hobbie so I can't do crazy prices. I am just looking to boost the initial capture independent of the shotgun mics so I have a higher quality to work with as the base.
robin
Established Member

Re: Cheapish sound recording

Post by robin »

I've never heard of neewer before, but a quick google only showed models without usb. You could just go with a audio interface instead of a board, like these:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_audi ... _black.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_sca ... rd_gen.htm
I own the first for mobile recordings, works nativley on every Linux flavor I used. The latter seems to be quite popular in this forum, so I assume it works just as well.
As for recording software, you cant really go wrong if you only record two signals. Stick with what you know if video is your primary concern, most of the difference is in the workflow. Just to have it mentioned, Ardour would probably be the default choice.