Complete Newb. What can I do with a keyboard?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Illegal Bayblade

Complete Newb. What can I do with a keyboard?

Post by Illegal Bayblade »

Due to strange circumstances, for the next few months I will be in possession of a Keystation 49 MK3. I have been using Linux for a few years, but I have never tried to make music with it. What software do you use to do stuff, and what does that stuff entail? I use arch linux.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Complete Newb. What can I do with a keyboard?

Post by Michael Willis »

I you just want to make some noise, there are a variety of different sound samplers and synths. Try zynaddsubfx, yoshimi, and bristol for synthesized sounds, and sfizz for SFZ sampled instruments.

If you want to arrange music with it, you can try LMMS, Muse, QTractor, and/or Ardour.
kengoudsward
Established Member

Post by kengoudsward »

In my very limited experience, I will just say the Yoshimi was BY FAR the easiest synth to play with
Flan_TheDude
Established Member

Post by Flan_TheDude »

If you just want to play piano, then qsynth is great (a graphical frontend for fluidsynth, a soundfont player); some free sound fonts can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/

Bristol is an excellent collection of vintage synth emulators (DX-7, Moog, SID, Oberheim and more) for those delicious 80s sounds.

ZynAddSubFX/Zyn-Fusion and Helm are both great synths for sound design, others such as Surge, TAL Noize Mak3r, obxd and Odin2 are available as plugins that require a host (Ardour, Carla and others)
Hardware synth explorer and Linux obsessive. Using Ardour, Dragonfly Reverb, Linux Studio Plugins, airwindows and Calf Studio Gear plugins, Roland Rubix 44 USB interface and Lenovo ThinkPads.