Rosegarden And Carla

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Azo0ka

Rosegarden And Carla

Post by Azo0ka »

Hi everyone!
I'm pretty new making music in Linux. I come from Win & Cubase and everything is different here. I've installed Ubuntu Studio and I've been playing a little with it. It looks really cool but I have some troubles and so many questions. The first thing was to get MIDI sound through QJack but, by the moment, this thing is solved. Hope someone can help me with the other things

First of all I am using Rosegarden because it's similar to Cubase but, by the moment I don't know how to use external synths. I'm interested in using my VST synths, the ones that I used under Cubase ( Nexus2, Atmosphere, Battery...), but don't know if it's possible in Linux. I've read somewhere that Carla can load different types of plugins and I've seen in Carla's Ubuntu Studio, there are some VSTs. So my question at this point is if I can make my VSTs work in Carla (through Wine maybe...?) Perhaps is stupid thinking that, but I don't know nothing about music studio in Linux.

The other thing I want to know is if Carla and Rosegarden can work together and if possible, how can I have to do it because I'm trying some little things but I can't make it work as I want.

By now these are my questions, hope someone can help. Thanks!!
Shupacabras
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden And Carla

Post by Shupacabras »

Hi, welcome to the linux world.
I could suggest Ardor for a more audio-inclined experience, on the contrary if you want a more MIDI-oriented experience, Qtractor.
Both support MIDI and audio.
Say your wish are musical genres more oriented to dance, electronics or trap/reggaeton, it is recommended for you to use LMMS. (MIDI only)
All support native Linux LV2 and VST plugin.
Azo0ka

Re: Rosegarden And Carla

Post by Azo0ka »

Ok, thank you! I'm interested in electronics but I use many audio samples, so I will try to play with Ardour and Qtractor. Let's see what happen! Thanks for your help. We'll be back in here soon! ;)