No sound with Ubuntu Studio

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mickeydog

No sound with Ubuntu Studio

Post by mickeydog »

I recently installed Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a Dell Optiplex 7020 Desktop.

The sound just isn't' working at all. I need sound for:
- playing a video in a browser
- playing a video e.g. mp4 from the computer
- using Audacity
- using Flowblade
- using a MIDI keyboard (Akai MPK Mini) -
- using MuseScore

I originally had Ubuntu 18.04 and was trying to get the sound to work with all these and couldn't get it all to work. It was a nightmare.
Then I saw Ubuntu Studio and thought that would be better. So far, it is not.

At this point, I'd be willing to remotely hire a Linux desktop consultant to configure the sound.
Is it possible to hire someone remotely to do this?
mk1967
Established Member

Re: No sound with Ubuntu Studio

Post by mk1967 »

As for audio problems with UbuntuStudio - I know them pretty well :wink: .

Instead of hiring expensive help on this system it might be wise to check out systems like AVLinux http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ or LibraZiK 3 Studio http://librazik.tuxfamily.org/base-site-LZK/english.php . Both of them are Debian-based.
Both run much smoother, faster and more reliable on my machines than UbuntuStudio (sorry to say) - especially LibraZiK :idea: .

Michael
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

That's odd. Are you sure that your soundcard works? Did you check in alsamixer and in the pulseaudio settings if a fader is down?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I had a Dell Desktop computer once also.
Everything worked well, except sound. At least I could get ALSA-Player work to listen to some music.
JACK audio didn't work at all, even though the sound card was recognized.
Dell sucks!
Them are using modified hardware like main boards and stuff etc.pp. to make sure only they can give support.
Luckily I didn't buy that Dell desktop computer.
It was a give away from another user sent to me as a "thank you" for my work over the years in Puppy Linux forum.
For some time I used it mainly for browsing the web. That worked well!
Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

If I go into Studio Controls, and "stop" JACK, it re-runs pulse, and reloads my devices, I can then set my settings in studio controls for JACK and run JACK, or I can just keep using pulse. I have to set my volume with QASmixer.

If using JACK, check settings in QjackCtl. If struggling to start or stop, try in QjackCtl, if you close jack it will most probably close jack

Sometimes, I have to restart. Generally when I have been impatient and started and stopped jack too often.

Also I have disabled some effects such as fading and such for KDE. Just seems to have made things smoother.
Last edited by Ilos on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
andersen
Established Member

Post by andersen »

I wish I could help, but I'm just about to set up Qtractor on US. Then I read Taersh' comments about Dell issues. (sigh) Oh man I hope he's wrong. I'll let you know what I find.

Lilith mentioned soundcard. I'd start there too. Is the hardware device you're using for output from Master bus working at all from the DAW or the box in general?

I use an external interface which I find easy to debug. If you're using an internal device, read the vendor's debugging recommendations. Also, is it compatible? (This is why lots of folks go with an external Audio Interface)

If your soundcard/interface is working (from the box in general), then you can focus on the DAW setup and it's software resources. (which is what I'm also about to do...) Good luck.
Less talk, more music - andersen