play backing track from computer to headphones, record from micro and backing track

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

grond
Established Member

play backing track from computer to headphones, record from micro and backing track

Post by grond »

Hello everyone,

total Linux-musician newbie here. I have been using Linux exclusively at home since some time in the late 90s but never really used it for music. When I started with Linux I did a lot of things by hand like compiling kernels with some options and modules I personally needed but over the years I got more and more lazy to the point that I have been using stock ubuntu now for over a decade (currently plain 20.04 LTS). Since Linux is always evolving, a lot of things I once knew are outdated (if not forgotten anyway) but I think I can still consider myself an experienced Linux user. Nonetheless, everything about audio on linux seems totally overwhelming.

So far I have happily used Transcribe!, a commercial program for slowing down recordings in order to transcribe them and practice playing along to the slowed-down recordings. For writing tablature I use lilypond, frescobaldi and Musescore (after producing some totally awesome looking tablature with the first two mentioned, laziness took over again and I now mostly use Musescore). I use audacity for cutting the songs from the recordings of our acoustic jams that I make with a Zoom H5 - only very basic use, really, I load the three hours of jam and cut the songs we play out of the endless talking into individual files... :)

Now it occurred to me that I could also use the Zoom to record myself while practicing. I used the Zoom stand-alone which, of course, works fine (nonetheless a shocking experience...). As with all these things my ambitions rose and here I am not knowing how to do what I want to do. What I want to do is this:

1. replay some backing track on my computer to a set of headphones (USB currently but perhaps I should just use ordinary headphones plugged into an analogue headphone output), either from the slow-downer program mentioned above, mplayer or whatever source
2a. record the backing track computer-to-computer, so to say, into a first track
2b. record myself playing along to the backing track via the Zoom operating as an audio frontend into a second track

I would have thunk this is a very basic usecase but a few hours googling for solutions left me totally confused. Please give me some pointers...
bluebell
Established Member

Re: play backing track from computer to headphones, record from micro and backing track

Post by bluebell »

One solution might be Audacity.

Record or load your backing track into Audacity.
Use "Andere Spuren während Aufzeichnung abspielen (Overdub)" in Audacity Bearbeiten/Einstellungen/Aufnahme.

Use ALSA/Zoom für Input, your builtin audio adapter for output.

That should do the trick.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

grond
Established Member

Re: play backing track from computer to headphones, record from micro and backing track

Post by grond »

Hey, thanks for your reply! That would indeed work for the case where I just play to a backing track but it has the disadvantage that I can't loop over my backing track (or usually just a section of it) for as long as I want to practice that particular section or song. I would have to repeat the backing track e.g. ten times before importing it into audacity and then play. If I use the slow-downer, I can adjust the speed of the backing track or even ramp up the speed automatically while looping the track. I can also jump to a different section of the song and loop that. I just don't know before the practice session what I will play, how many times I will play it and at what speed I can manage it on that specific day. This makes the audacity idea rather impractical for my practice.

I have a small analogue mixer here (Behringer Xenyx 502). I wonder whether I should cable up something but then I guess I will only be able to record both sources to a single track...
grond
Established Member

Post by grond »

A first step to success! Following this guide here I have been able to record the sound played by the computer and thus whatever my practice tool outputs. I assume that starting a second instance of audacity for recording myself playing via the Zoom should result in two recordings which I then can easily put together in a single audacity project. I will continue trying tonight.