N00b to Linux recording

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Triad773
Established Member

N00b to Linux recording

Post by Triad773 »

Hi all, I used to be on CuBase on Windows, struggled through ASIO before the internetz were popular, now on Ubuntu Studio 18.04 LTS with a new audio interface, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo v. 3. A friend recommended it, but he runs Windows- I saw enough stories of people getting it to work on Ubuntu Studio, just trying to figure out my install at the moment and the right questions.

Where I'm at: saw where it is a device in both Ardour and Audacity as input devices, guessing it's my QJack configs are bad somehow. I get no monitor capability yet, but figure perhaps after I configure ASLA right, might be all good after that? These are just assumptions, but I thought I'd come and present it to see if I can learn something here. If there's an error log I can grab and post that would help, I'm all ears. Perhaps there are some select temp files I need to get rid of before things work right.

What I'm trying to do is run my guitar through the Scarlett via phono jack-USB into my 2nd gen Intel i-7 rehabbed corporate Dell desktop with 12 GB memory, a 1 GB memory video, stock sound, and of course the Focusrite Scarlett Solo via USB 2. I know I'm missing alot here, but I came to be a sponge of info to get this working :D

Thanks for anything that might lead to my getting this working.

Cheers
Triad773
Established Member

Re: N00b to Linux recording

Post by Triad773 »

Also I need to change my user name, tried pming an admin for help, yup I'm a moon here. Tnx for help. Think my old one was Triad773 not my email address, if I could get help with that, tnx!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Triad773 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 pm Also I need to change my user name, tried pming an admin for help, yup I'm a moon here. Tnx for help. Think my old one was Triad773 not my email address, if I could get help with that, tnx!
Changed your username to @Triad773, have fun!
Triad773
Established Member

Post by Triad773 »

Thanks for fixing that user name, appreciated.

Small update, spent the evening playing with the Scarlett interface, managed to get a recording in Audacity, but could only do so without being able to monitor the results. Great sounding preview in playback, but when I go to export as wav, MP3, etc. it's not so good quality and some files exported won't play at all, with the error message
'Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" could not be used:
No such file or directory.'

Well, I'll dig into that, but it's coming along slowly. I know once I get all the settings right I'll have a blast :D

Thanks for any thoughts 8)