external sound card and too much xruns on jack

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ela

external sound card and too much xruns on jack

Post by ela »

Hi, I'm new on this forum, this is my first post. I wish to thank you in advance for the attention and hope you can help me with this issue.

I use the AVLinux O.S. for audio production, some time ago I bought a USB external audio card (M-audio M-Track Plus MKII https://m-audio.com/products/view/m-track-plus-mkii) for recording my guitar and mic. Of course I first checked that the card was fully compatible with linux, and it was. As I plug the card, it is actually identified both by linux and jack. Anyway, after I connect the card, plug my gutitar in, start jack by QjackCtl with the card name as the interface setting parameter and connect capture 1 (the card input) with both system's playback 1 and 2, I still can't hear my guitar sound from headphones/speakers connected to the PC. The only way I can hear the sound in my PC's headphones/speakers is to specify as the Output Device setting parameter the HDA Intel MID entry (instead of the default entry), which I think is my integrated audio card. Unfortunately, when I go for this configuration a large amount of xruns occur, even with not so small frames/period values (like 512 or 1024...), I think this is due to the fact that jack is using the integrated audio card (which performs bad) as the output device.

I also noticed that my external audio card has two (L+R) main outputs, which are meant to go to monitor speakers. I also tried to connect some headphones to that main output, but I found out that the sound coming from there is just the sound of the guitar as it enters into the external sound card, without the PC processing (for example guitarix effects I added on my guitar signal), while - of course - I want to hear the guitar signal fully processed.

Someone could help me to solve this problem? Am I missing something?

Thank you again.
studio32

Re: external sound card and too much xruns on jack

Post by studio32 »

Connect your outputs to a application that makes your signal visual. Like a mixer application (non-mixer or carla with big meter interna plugin)