mod wheel ignored by plugins?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

blooch
Established Member

mod wheel ignored by plugins?

Post by blooch »

Lately I've been spending time in quarantine trying to learn my way around AVLinux and most recently have started digging into the MIDI side. This has been fun and the process seems mostly intuitive! But...

... for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my plugins to respond to the mod wheel. Specifically, I've been trying to use it with Helm and the Calf Monosynth with no luck.

In general, I am confident I am using the plugins correctly—for example, in Helm when I attempt to connect my pitch bend wheel (rather than the mod wheel) say to an LFO, it works as expected and modulates the LFO (and bends the pitch too, of course). But when I attempt to do the same with the modwheel, nothing.

To test whether the mod wheel was working at all, I created a fluidsynth instance in the terminal in verbose mode. Upon routing my keyboard to this fluidsynth and moving the modwheel, changes to cc #1 were echoed as expected.

Same results whether with my M-Audio Keystation or Alesis Q49.

I am out of ideas. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!
briandc
Established Member

Re: mod wheel ignored by plugins?

Post by briandc »

Just a thought.. if you're using Carla as your plug-in host, you will need to select the "send CC control" (I think that's what it says) option. Otherwise you won't have complete midi control. It's in the Carla GUI window of the plug-in (not the native synth GUI window).

The Mod Wheel should be CC01.

Hth!
Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
blooch
Established Member

Post by blooch »

ugh I knew it had to be something silly like that. Thank you!!!
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

oops... didn't check this till now!
No problem.. I hope it was of help! :)

DAWs and hosts can sometimes be unclear and not always intuitive.. that's something I have always loathed..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com