how to make a video like this

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: how to make a video like this

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hey, I did not read the whole thread, so I don't know if this was mentioned already, but I though I would mention that creating a video like the example in OP should be fairly easy with shotcut, although the EQ effect will maybe not look as cool. If you are interested, I can show how to do it.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you, but my Blender project is finished at least the modelling part.

Now I only need to render it, but that's gonna take some time.

One option is to start render , go to bed leave pc on, and see how far it got the next day.
Another option would be a render farm, found some not free and some free.

But when the project was just finished we had a heatwave. I did not wanna leave my pc unattended, rendering during a heatwave.

My living room was warmer then my normal cpu temps. 30 C (87F)

Heatwave is gone so now I might give it a go, but fist gonna try sheepit. (a free render farm)
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I see. I went ahead and still did a mini tutorial just in case somebody else is interested and feels daunted by Blender, although I think learning Blender definitely pays much more off in the long run (it is a very good program with incredible capabilities). Shotcut is very minimal in comparison. Link to the tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/boQhiMiRN08
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Another option would be to render out an "image sequence" which you can also do in small chunks. Set up a folder/dossier/directory to output to. For example, set your start frame to 0 and end frame to 200, next time set your start frame to 201... and so on. Once complete, you can import those frames as an image sequence into Shotcut, Kdenlive, Cinelerra, Olive, etc... or right into Blender's Video Sequence Editor (VSE for short) and do it all there, adding your sound as well. It is pretty much a one stop shop, after all.

Convert Image Sequence Into Video - Blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgab9VC_laQ

blender render image sequence
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... %253D%253D

Video Editing With Blender (Complete Tutorial Series)
https://blenderartists.org/t/video-edit ... es/1249965

Blender 2.8 Playblast with Viewport Render Animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkXktDTPCM

and here's a neat little addon you may consider for your next project...
Introducing Render Strip addon
https://www.blendernation.com/2020/08/0 ... %9f%8e%ac/

Party On ! :twisted:

And thanks for the tut, CrocoDuck. Cheers ! :D
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

CrocoDuck wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 pm I see. I went ahead and still did a mini tutorial just in case somebody else is interested and feels daunted by Blender, although I think learning Blender definitely pays much more off in the long run (it is a very good program with incredible capabilities). Shotcut is very minimal in comparison. Link to the tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/boQhiMiRN08
Thank you, I will definitely watch it. :)

Blender is great indeed, but it will take time to learn. For people with less time or interest in 3D, Shotcut might be the better way.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

carlv wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:18 am Another option would be to render out an "image sequence" which you can also do in small chunks. Set up a folder/dossier/directory to output to. For example, set your start frame to 0 and end frame to 200, next time set your start frame to 201... and so on. Once complete, you can import those frames as an image sequence into Shotcut, Kdenlive, Cinelerra, Olive, etc... or right into Blender's Video Sequence Editor (VSE for short) and do it all there, adding your sound as well. It is pretty much a one stop shop, after all.

Convert Image Sequence Into Video - Blender
If I understand my project and blender right, I would not have to add the sound later.

How that works that it adds the sound also when rendering just one frame, I don't know.

If I get it right, I would be rendering as you said frame to 1 to 200 and maybe next day 201 to 400.
Then when I add the pieces together in blender there will be sound.
Has to do with my music file being linked to Blender, so the red light react to the track.

I am for now happy about my first finished vid that only needs rendering, but I have allot to think about.

Should I make a loop corridor in blender, I could do a figure 8 shaped corridor, shaped 0 or what ever.
Need to do some more investigation on Array along a path.
Although that makes adding variations a problem.
Should I just not tie my track to things in the vid like I have done now?

Then I could just do an easy space battle. :P

Would not fit my house track though, but its funny, can we make space battles in blender? Yes we can.
Cant shake that feeling I need to do something like the bombing run in star wars, were they blow up the death star.

Only one problem, I fear I won't have time to make music, and I can see render times totally getting out of hand, depending how much detail I add to the death star trench.

And that sums up the problem with Blender well, there are almost no limitation to what you can do, even make a cartoon for you music, but the time that's gonna take......

Talking about cartoons and music, Dirty harry any one :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnkQAeMbIM

Although, I don't like this version much, there is a much better remix version of that track. No cartoon though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljio_RV4uZo
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

A quick-n-dirty example...

In this case the animation was done 1st (800 frames @ 24 fps) and the sound added later in Kdenlive (was checking out the new version). Reversed engineered, bringing the sound file into Blender project after the fact, it lines ups. This method allows a bit more control and flexibility. And to your point, since you've built your animation around your sound, the timing remains intact.
Screenshot from 2020-08-31 01-38-46a.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-08-31 01-38-46a.jpg (143.59 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Screenshot from 2020-08-31 01-54-00a.jpg
Screenshot from 2020-08-31 01-54-00a.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Last edited by carlv on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Well I have some good news :P

Today I was using LMMS again. My attempt at doing something like jarre.
I have to say that a total distraction from this track, because of blender really helps.
(and the feedback from this forum, although that was months ago)

I wonder if your missing my point about this specific Blender project though. I am not arguing anything you say about adding the sound later, but...
The Blend file already has the music track, the wave file from LMMS.

That's how the lights react to the music. bake to f curve or something like that.

Now why would I want to add the music track again ? :?

Really like your vid. :)
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Gps wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm I wonder if your missing my point about this specific Blender project though. I am not arguing anything you say about adding the sound later, but...
We're on the same page, though this element in the process is hard for most beginners to wrap their heads around.
Gps wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm That's how the lights react to the music. bake to f curve or something like that.
When you 'baked' your sound to the 'f-curve' you essentially freed the animation's dependency on that sound file to make that particular action, the blinking/pulsating lights, happen. With the animation no longer dependent on the sound, you can render your images in any quality you choose and can also go back in and tweak particular instances in the animation if you so choose. Control and flexibility.
Gps wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm Now why would I want to add the music track again ?
When you get the chance, take a little time to check this tut (and the others above) to fully understand the rationale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5RT8rEPqU

"In this tutorial you will discover:
-Why rendering direct to a movie file is bad, bad, bad
-How to render to individual frames
-How to compile the frames in the video sequence editor"

Keep it rollin'... :)
Gps wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm Really like your vid.
Thanks ! :mrgreen:
(for the record, it only took 30 mins to render)
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am starting to see the light. The way I am doing it now, could mean that after 12 hours or so of rendering, I find out something went wrong.

Then the only solution is do it again and prey. :P
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Gps wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:45 pm Then the only solution is do it again and prey.
Bingo ! :lol:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am starting to have a sheep it headache. :roll:

If you upload a file, it does seems to read some data from your file, but not all.

It also has the option to make an mp4 file.
Although at my pc, render settings are set to individual frames.

Because blender at my pc is set to eevee, when I upload the file, I can't select , cpu rendering. :?
I need to select GPU, Nvidia or AMD or both.

This confused the hell out of me, but I figured it out. If your blender is set to eevee, sheep it, will not use cpu rendering.

There are also two clients. One is just for helping others with there rendering.
When you log in to the page though, you can add your file to projects.

Maybe there is a way , with that java client too, to also render your own project, but I have not figured that part out.

Its only complicated and frustrating, because nowhere this stuff gets explained.

Getting started points you to download and install the java client, but I only managed, to add my project through the web interface.

Right now its rendering my file though. Should give me 6250 png files, or will it be something else?
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

As we type I am downloading a 10.4 gig zip file. :shock:
31 min left.

You have 13 days to download your project, after this it gets deleted.

Code: Select all

Storage used: 9.8 MB
    Cumulated time of render: 1d22h57m
    Points spent: 29,961 points
    Real duration of render: 12h58m
    Statistics about the render
I had calculated around 12 hours, I was close.

Now after download turn it into a vid with blender, fingers crossed. :)
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I seem to have merged the sound and images in blender, but it's not in sync :(

For today giving up. This does proof to me that rendering to a move file directly, has besides some disadvantage, also some advantage.

When rendering to a movie file directly i never had this problem, exactly what I was afraid off now has happened.

Lets hope I can find out, why it's not in sync.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

For a second I was forgetting my never surrender, never give up motto.
It was a simple fix, move the audio so it starts at frame 0, in the video editor in Blender.

I am quite happy, this sounds better then the soundcloud version, but I have been working on the track in LMMS too.
So to really make a good comparison, I should also upload this version of the track to sound cloud, but for now:

You tube
https://youtu.be/RSzceg_jTS0

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/digthis

I have no idea yet, what the quality on you tube is, and what they did to my mp4 file.
Picture quality good enough, but its not as sharp as the movie file on my hard disk.
The mp4 file is 250,7 MiB , sound codec acc at 320 kbps.
I did select hd this time, a you tube setting, and that did improve things a bit.