how to make a video like this

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: how to make a video like this

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 pm You tube
https://youtu.be/RSzceg_jTS0
That looks great, but to my taste movement should be much faster.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I agree but its not that easy to speed thing up.

The speed is an result of the length of the corridor and the focal length of the camera lens.

I already made the corridor about 4 times as long as it was before. Might need to ask Ducky 3D for advise.
He made some great vid, but those are loops, mine is not.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

tavasti wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:08 am ...but to my taste movement should be much faster.
Gps wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am I agree but its not that easy to speed thing up.
Look no further than the, "Graph Editor." Slap a cube or whatever on a path and have a go..

A quick look..
Blender Path Animation - How To Speed Up and Slow Down Curve Animation in 11 Minutes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOSDYTsG7o

Recently dropped and a more in depth overview..
How to use the Blender Graph Editor (Useful Tips Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRzsVONTNSs

Groovy curves. :wink:
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Gps wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 pm I have no idea yet, what the quality on you tube is,
That struck me. too.

I felt like i got pretty good results image quality wise in my little animation and the youtube version looked pretty decent, but yours has artifacts. It'd be good to try and figure out why that is..

If you would indulge me, do a quick render of a frame from your animation with some action going on, using the "viewport render image" options as shown in the image. I'd be interested in what you get and also, take note of the render time.
Screenshot_a.jpg
Screenshot_a.jpg (157.8 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
an 8 sec render with both image and procedural textures. My setup is pretty bare bones, too.
Screenshot_b.jpg
Screenshot_b.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Not sure why you ask, quality on you tube is lower then at my pc.
It was was worse before though. :)

Will need to figure out why, and how I can have a better vid quality on you tube.

About the graph editor.
If I speed up the camera I will reach the end of my corridor faster.......
Then there will be music track left but no more corridor.

Now would my corridor be a loop, it would be allot easier to speed things up.

This is probably one reason why ducky 3D makes endless loop vids.
His method has advantages over mine.
Speed independ of corridor length, allot less frames to render.
One disadvantage of his way, you can't make any variations in the corridor.

I am willing to share the file, but don't know how, any suggestions?
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I have been watching the vid at my pc, and compared it to you tube.

The artefacts you see in the vid come mostly come from you tube lowering the resolution.
Or its their compression method.
It also has to do with the camera light moving, but you can hardly notice this in the vid at my pc.

Something else I had noticed but not mentioned yet, there are few hick ups. Its like there are corrupt .png files from the render, but I have tried to scroll through all 6250 frames, and I did not see what I was expecting, any black frames.

Could it be there are frames missing?
This was my first time using sheep-it, and I have no idea yet on how reliable it is. When the project was done they had a zip file, also got an emial it was done.

I might be better off doing it my own pc though. The thing that worries me, when you use sheep it, people with different hardware render you file.
It's not like sheep it has a server that renders it for you.

Then its possible the final render at my pc did not go 100% right. I could try it again, and then leave my pc alone for a bit.
(instead of doing all kinds of other stuff, during the wait)
Its not a real render, but its were blender makes a vid out of the blend file and the 6250 .png files rendered on sheep it.

The render of one frame takes about 6 seconds. Its the number of frames that makes it take so long.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Gps wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm Not sure why you ask, quality on you tube is lower then at my pc.
It was was worse before though.
Hey, thanks and apologies, i should have been more clear with the request for a render using the "viewport render image" options. When i wrote, "...a quick render of a frame from your animation with some action going on," what i was looking for was a frame where the side panel lights were pulsating. In essence that particular 'action' is distortion and i wanted to see what that looked like in an animation that used predominately procedural materials, with those settings, using eevee. There are qualitative differences with all the render options and i have not done much in the way of rendering animations using eevee. In short, plane curiosity. No need to do this again for me. The above looks pretty good. It may be worth comparing a frame from your 'sheep-it' rendered images with one done this way to see if you notice any difference in quality. It may help with your choice of render options in the future, should you decide to continue.
Gps wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm Will need to figure out why, and how I can have a better vid quality on you tube.
That little test may help in the figuring. If this viewport render option looks as good as a "final render"... it may be less of a hit in time and processing, next time around.
Gps wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm About the graph editor.
If I speed up the camera I will reach the end of my corridor faster.......
The speed from point a to b was fine for me, just pointing out where the control center for that is for you two and any others who may be interested. Now one possible use for speeding up and slowing things down in this case would be to have the camera linger and focus on certain things as it travels, like the pulsating side panel lights or your logo along the way. Or even have the camera bop-n-groove to the beat as it moves on down the line. That all can be done in the graph editor. It's groovy... :D
Gps wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:14 am ...artifacts, ...you tube... compression method....corrupt .png files... Could it be there are frames missing? ...first time using sheep-it...
A lot of ground was covered in the making of, but you did it and it's leaps-n-bounds over your original idea, so take a victory lap and take a break. Come back fresh. :mrgreen:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

For a first vid, I am happy. :)

Things confusing me, eevee vs cycles, vs opencl not working.
Could it be the pics I get back from sheep it, are slightly different, not better or worse, just different, from what I see when I render is at my pc, because of the compute part of the drivers on my pc not working. ( under Linux though, maybe I need to do a render on windows an see if its different )
That might also answer the question if its worth the effort, to get it working on Linux too.

I definitely need to try cycles, and maybe have another go at getting the rocm part of the vid card drivers working.

The only reason I am using eevee, is because ducky 3D uses it, but he has a pc with two vidcards.
The main difference between eevee and cyles is either the cpu or the gpu being used most for the render calculations.

Cycles better quality, eevee faster.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I might have found why the video quality on you tube is not as good as it is at my pc.

Link to a you tube vid at bottom of this post about the codecs you tube uses.

Codec used for my vid on you tube, is a bad one. we can find this by right clicking on the vid, then select stats for nerds. :mrgreen:

Codec avc1.

Not sure I like the solution from the you tube vid, I would need to render my vid at an even higher resolution. 1440p

So lets see if there are other ways to have you tube use the VP9 codec for encoding my vid.
For channels with just a view viewers, you tube uses the avc1 codec.

Cynical remark, gotta love you tube and sound-cloud for messing with a file, you have put allot of work in. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfszfVlKyZg

I might email you tube, and ask how I can change this.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:57 pm Link to a you tube vid at bottom of this post about the codecs you tube uses.

Codec used for my vid on you tube, is a bad one. we can find this by right clicking on the vid, then select stats for nerds. :mrgreen:

Codec avc1.
To get better quality videos, you have to encode them with recommend settings

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Thank you both for the tips. :!: