how to make a video like this

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: how to make a video like this

Post by Gps »

For a test I just installed Blender on windows 10. Opencl does work over there.
At least this rules out my hardware.

Lets see if the opensuse forum can help me with this. :)
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Found something yesterday.
One way of how to use textures in blender.

I was looking for free textures for Blender when I stumbled on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deRNqDcwRk

And we fall deeper and deeper into the pit. :lol:
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

This vid dropped a few days back, if you get a chance have a look. If of interest, be sure to grab the companion pdf from gumroad..
"200+ Helpful Blender 3D Hacks in Under 1 Hour".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKH1XobKWnc
I still have yet to finish it. Too, going on

Tips 20-21 deal with managing materials/textures. Of particular note is, Lily’s Surface Scraper https://github.com/eliemichel/LilySurfaceScrapper. I tried it and sadly it's not working for me and some other Linux users, yet. It's certainly something i'll be keeping an eye on it.

As the guy said while in free fall off a cliff, "So far, so good." :wink:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

:lol:

Well was just very happy, I found out how to copy the colour of one pipe to another. Why is there is a colour picker that works badly ?

Wondering about starting over with corridor, now that I understand snap and origin manipulation in Blender, and all the other stuff I learned.

Or am I just gonna extent the corridor even more? It's now twice as big, and camera speed is still mostly too slow.
Just select all then copy paste again could do it. Then extrude camera path.

First looking into textures though, how I can have my walls less, just grey.

Seen enough vids to know my corridor can look much better, but if one frame is gonna take hours to render, I have a problem, because I need to do 6650.

I have been working on my music track too, its a bit shorter now but I think it sounds better, warmer.
I was not really happy, but had already spend so much time on it, this Blender break gave me new motivation.
Added a third kick which really helps to have the kicks not get drowned.
Layered a piano vst ( 4 front piano) with ZADSFX and this gives a weird spacy effect.
Made the bass a bit louder.

Next render will use the wave file, not an mp3 any more.

Will check out that vid. :)
Last edited by Gps on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 pm Seen enough vids to know my corridor can look much better, but if one frame is gonna take hours to render, I have a problem, because I need to do 6650.
With gpu rendering that should be much faster. When I tested blender a bit, with cpu rendering my video took 6 hours, and with gpu rendering less than 2 minutes. And that machine did not have even good gpu, just integrated intel gpu.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am having issues to get opencl working. :(
Seems I am not the only one on opensuse having issues, with version rocm 3.5.0
One person had it working and then updated to 3.5.0 and it stopped working for Blender.
This problem is not an opensuse problem though, when I googled I found people on multiple distro's struggling.
Problem starts with the opensource drivers not supporting an opencl version, blender likes.

I think I know what to do with my grey walls though: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyfoeIzweZQ
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am Problem starts with the opensource drivers not supporting an opencl version, blender likes.
In case of having clear need, I would jump to closed drivers (if there is such available).

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

tavasti wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 pm
Gps wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am Problem starts with the opensource drivers not supporting an opencl version, blender likes.
In case of having clear need, I would jump to closed drivers (if there is such available).
I don't understand why, but because I am using the rolling release of openSUSE (Tumbleweed), the closed source drivers are not an option.

Because I also game, I always used the closed source drivers, nvidia or amd before.

For Blender it probably would be allot easier if I had gone for a stable opensuse version (leap), and the proprietary drivers.
That much I do have figured out.

Its funny in a way how I found this out. I googled and found an Ubuntu user ranting about, his ubuntu version not being supported by closed source drivers.
And yes it was because of Blender.

Don't we love computers? :roll:

To some extent it feels like I am getting punished every time I try to support team red by also using one of their video cards.
And the most frustrating part, that's on Linux.
On windows 10, I installed blender and opencl is working. ( my pc is dual boot, opensuse vs windows10 pro, windows only used for some games )
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Ducky 3D for president, and we have a problem. :lol:

I turned on screen refractions, but thanks to ducky no more boring walls, but something rather sci fi.
Just one colour for now, Ducky shows how to do 2 colours.

Render time up to a bit over 4 seconds per frame with screen refractions off, with it turned on over 6 seconds per frame.
Instant render time penalty the higher you set it. ( I would like to turn it up higher )

Looking rather awesome though, and that with out any fine tuning.
I have been working on the pipes to make them more reflective.( turn down roughness)

bump map, vorenoid texture ? a color ramp and some more.
Hardly understand what I am doing just copying ducky. :)
Last edited by Gps on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Gps wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 pm
tavasti wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 pm In case of having clear need, I would jump to closed drivers (if there is such available).
For Blender it probably would be allot easier if I had gone for a stable opensuse version (leap), and the proprietary drivers.
That much I do have figured out.

Its funny in a way how I found this out. I googled and found an Ubuntu user ranting about, his ubuntu version not being supported by closed source drivers.
And yes it was because of Blender.

Don't we love computers? :roll:
I most likely would put some old machine running just for blender rendering, and set it up with any OS & drivers, just what rendering with gpu would take. Even old gpu would be better than cpu. And at least in my machine, when blender was rendering with gpu, machine was 100% unusable, so that would speak also for separate rendering machine.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Well on the bright side, your pc will never be fast enough.

Rendering is one of those exceptions to the rules, were hardware matter allot, and its never enough.

Rendering programs were I think the first programs who could use multiple cpu.
Back in the days were, if you wanted 4 cores, you had to buy 4 cpu.

3D studio max also had a setting, for when it was in a network it then could use those other pc too.
That worked well , except for the fact that everybody on the network started to complain about lag. :lol:

Last night I found a paid service, through a ducky3d vid. You can upload your file, and it will get rendered.
I think the right word is a server farm.
When it's rendered you can download it.

Think it says it all that such a service even exists.

It was my big worry from the start. Sure I can make something, but how long will it take to render?
I am also seriously impressed by Blender, if I see what I can spit out, with not much experience in rendering.

Deleted all lights, and started over with the lighting. :P

Think we both need to start a fundraiser for a thread ripper, and 2 vidcards. :(

Big advantage of any pc for rendering if off course that you can do other stuff, so it also matters less how long it will take.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Fix something probably nobody would have noticed. (colour of the pipes)
The 3 below the floor mess. :mrgreen:

Changed the floor mesh, did not like at all how it looked before.

Added area lights matching the size of the modelled fake lights in the ceiling.

Think I have a displacement issue. It looks like I fixed the first one in the first keyframe, but all copies after this, don't.
They are probably still reacting the mp3, I was using before.
I added a new .wave file from LMMS ( latest version of the music track) , bake to F curve.

Need to investigate how I can solve this. ( or what the problem is, music goes silent, but lights are still pumping to the beat.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am getting closer to a final video, but have to fix something first.

It's not simple to just replace the mp3 with a wave file. I will have to redo all moving light, rough guess, about 40.

It seems you can't update bake to F curve, so replacing the mp3 with a wave file causes allot of work. :(

Asked for help and I was told its better to use nodes, so I probably will. As far as I understand it, then I could replace the sound file much easier.

My question also led to an interesting tutorial, I like to share.

With changing colour and a peak fall off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYf-tD2SqM :mrgreen:

Still sinking deeper and deeper in to the Blender pit. :P
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Think I am done, I should have, would have, could have allot, but for my first Blender project this is gonna be it.
Fixed some details, like the red lights making holes in the hull. ( displacment )

Looking at ways to render my file online. One problem on 2 sites, one free one paid, no Linux program. :(

Need to dig a bit deeper for blender render farms, easily accessible from Linux. :)

To render one frame is a bit under 7 seconds lets say 6.8 sec

6250 frames to render... 42500 seconds

Divided by 60 twice, 11.8 hours. :mrgreen:

Image :)

Will be interesting too see how the sound quality will end up on you tube.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Video is still nor rendered, but I made some progress.

Sheep it. ( a render farm consisting, as far as I understand it, mostly of blender users pc's )
The big plus, its free. I am gonna try it for the vid, that would take at my pc about 12 hours.

How hard can it be? :roll:

Some tips that might safe others some time.

You go to the website click at getting started, and download the Linux client.

That gives you a jar file. Do not unpack this, like I did at first.

After some googling I found it's a java file. So you need to have java installed on the distro you are using.
java was / is already installed on openSUSE (tumble weed) but I suspect most distro's will have it installed too.

Then open a console, and go to the folder were the jar file is.

To start the sheep it client (just as a normal user):

Code: Select all

java -jar sheepit-client
Found this with google, but not on the sheep it site. There is no freaking manual or anything.

Another hurdle was the log in.
It comes down to you having to log in twice.
First time to register and to login to the page, then again in the client.

Were it got beyond confusing to me, although you login twice, your log in name is different the second time, but the password is the same.
Which sadist came up with this ?

So to login to the site your username is your email adres, but when you log in into the client, you need to give the username you specified when registering.

Later found another way to start the client, which for now won't work on openSUSE, but It seems some ubuntu versions, allow you to right click on the jar file, and then choose open with java. No command line needed.

Will need to do some more investigation, on how I can avoid the command line on opensuse too.
Should be be possible to just create a shortcut. :)