lexicon omega: 2 channels instead of 4 ?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

@nnms
Established Member

Re: lexicon omega: 2 channels instead of 4 ?

Post by @nnms »

@nikgnomicradio thanks for your reply but still don't work, I finally success to add 2 input with the alsa_in command but the channels are not usable, the volume are extremely low

I add my voice to the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu?searc ... o_package=
istantinople

Post by istantinople »

I know this is an older thread, but did you ever get any luck getting all 4 channels working? I see the bug report is still undecided.
spadan
Established Member

Post by spadan »

Hello LinuxMusicians.
On my side unfortunately no, no chance: I still have 2 channels.
s3ej3s
Established Member

Post by s3ej3s »

Has anyone made any progress on this? I also have an Omega and I'm no longer seeing 4 channels.

I'm on NixOS, so it seems unlikely to me that this is a distro-specific problem, unless anyone has evidence that it is. Where do we think the problem is? My uninformed guess is that maybe some kernel module changed in a way that it no longer interprets the device correctly. I think alsa is dependent on the device files that are created. Could it be a udev problem?

Maybe together we can narrow it down and get the right eyes on it so that maybe it can be fixed. I sure hope so -- 4 channel audio interfaces aren't cheap and I've been pretty happy with the Omega till now. I do have a Delta 1010LT PCI card that has treated me very well, but I need to dedicate a desktop machine to that again. But that's another topic.
s3ej3s
Established Member

Post by s3ej3s »

musciencia wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am I have the same problem. But here is what I have found so far:

I have used Lexicon Omega with Ubuntu Studio for years without any problems until I upgraded to Ubuntu Studio 20.04.
After tryting diferent versions of Ubuntu Studio I notticed that the 2 channels instead of 4 issue started with kernel 4.15.0-101.

In other words:
On Ubuntu Studio 18.04.4 with kernel 4.15.0-20, Lexicon Omega works great. No problems at all.
On Ubuntu Studio 18.04.4 with kernel 4.15.0-101 (and later), Lexicon Omega can only capture 2 channels. Or at least I can only see 2 capture channels in qjackctl.

I'm still using Ubuntu Studio 18.04.4 with kernel 4.15.0-20, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade.
FWIW, on NixOS, I just tried dropping back from kernel 5.10 to 4.14.243. This was literally the only change I made, and I still only get 2 capture channels. In fact, the contents of /proc/asound doesn't seem to change at all. So for me, only changing the kernel version didn't resolve the issue. The last thing that *did* work for me was on Debian but it was years ago and I no longer have any particular info about it.
s3ej3s
Established Member

Post by s3ej3s »

I subscribed to the alsa-users mailing list and posted a request for help there. I used the `alsa-info.sh` script to collect diagnostics and attached it to the email. As a result, I'm awaiting moderator approval to post the message since it exceeds the maximum message size.

BTW, I see a bug against Debian for the same problem.