Can I use my MOTU Audio Express interface on Lubuntu?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gabotonatiu

Can I use my MOTU Audio Express interface on Lubuntu?

Post by gabotonatiu »

Hello, everyone. I record voiceovers, and wanted to bring back to life an old laptop (Atom CPU, 2GB RAM) by installing Lubuntu. The plan was to use it only for audio recording. I'm fairly new to Linux, but with the help of the internet I've managed to install ARDOUR 5 and everything was ok up to that point. But now I can't find a way to install the drivers to my MOTU Audio Express interface. On MOTU's download page only Windows and Mac are listed. So, I already now that this might be a dead-end road, but still I wanted to make sure: is there anyway to use my interface on Lubuntu (or any Linux Distro)?

Thanks in advance.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Can I use my MOTU Audio Express interface on Lubuntu?

Post by Michael Willis »

I'm having a hard time finding information on whether MOTU Audio Express is class compliant, but generally speaking if an interface has Linux drivers they are already built into the kernel. Just plug it in, launch Ardour, create a new project, pick ALSA as the Audio System, and see if the interface shows up in the Input Device and Output Device menus.