Decent Sampler ( deletes the DecentSampler preset file )

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Smaasten
Established Member

Decent Sampler ( deletes the DecentSampler preset file )

Post by Smaasten »

Hii. Ubuntu Studio 22.04 here, and using the latest version of Decent Sampler v1.6.1
I can install the libraries by dragging the zip file to the DS GUI, and most of them works well and load the samples etc. Oooh and im using Bitwig. - but when I close Bitwig and relaunch the DAW, it can't run most of the libraries, because it cannot find the preset file.
Does anyone in here knows about this issue, and is there a way to prevent it from happening.
I love DS but right now it is useless to me :(
Smaasten
Established Member

Re: Decent Sampler ( deletes the DecentSampler preset file )

Post by Smaasten »

i just updated to the latest version, and the problem went away.
https://www.decentsamples.com/product/d ... er-plugin/

For many great free libraries for Decent Sampler and more:
https://www.pianobook.co.uk/
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Didn't see your original post but I've been having the same issue so thanks for sharing the update.

It's a good plugin, so many of the sounds available are truly unique and it's ridiculously easy to use.
listenable at c6a7.org
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I just noticed Pianobook has kept track of and colated my downloads into a handy reference page,
and each download has a link to create a review of the download. Very cool, even for us dinoaurs
late to the party. I have 91 downloads, and recently made disk space to hold them all.
Only 18 are in solely Kontakt format, the rest are DecentSampler or both, as well as some with both
DecentSampler and EXS24 versions, and then SFZ some files.
Cheers
Common.Disturbances

Post by Common.Disturbances »

Decent Sampler 1.6.9, the latest as of now, still deletes the sampler pack preset files after initially working fine.

One of you in the thread here said the problem went away with the latest version, but that was earlier this month (perhaps same version?). I'd be curious which version you have, if different, so that I can try it.

I thought the problem went away after updating as all seemed to work during last night's music session, but reloading again today and switching a track sample to another gives me "Not loaded" errors. I also confirmed the preset files are removed. I'm not sure if the files were deleted upon loading, deleted after closing, or deleted after opening the second time.

When I want to play music, I want to be creative, not jumping through technical hurtles. I didn't have this problem with Reaper and Decent Sampler on Windows. I'm not sure why the Linux plugin would be so different. I'm stumped as to why this is happening.

I'm using OpenSuse and Reaper latest.

Last edited by Common.Disturbances on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common.Disturbances

Post by Common.Disturbances »

Just an update.

I noticed that my Decent Sampler preset files disappear upon launching the DAW. I use Reaper on OpenSuse Linux. The files are intact before launching, and disappear after Reaper finishing loading the session. My guess is the Decent Sampler vst plugin deletes the files upon a second run. Once I run Decent Sampler with a fresh install and rescan the sample packs it's okay, but by the second time of launching a previously setup session, the presets disappear.

My hope is that the Decent Sampler developers will somehow be notified of this strange behavior and look into it. Decent Sampler is too amazing to be crippled by such a nuisance behavior. Until this is resolve I'll just continue to copy my Decent Sampler samples folder over every time the presets disappear.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

@Common.Disturbances
please report that bug https://www.decentsamples.com/contact/

Breezy
Established Member

Post by Breezy »

Hi. I'm running Ardour on AVlinux MX Edition and have found the same problem with Decent Sampler.

However I had some presets that saved and launched fine while others, mainly recent downloads from Pianobook, exhibited the same behaviour you describe.

Updating to version 1.6.11 didn't solve anything.

I particularly couldn't understand why NFO Chamber Strings Longs worked fine but Shorts was a problem.

Opening the preset file in a text editor I found this; <effect type="lowpass" frequency="22000 "/> - note the space before the final ". It's the only value in the file where that's the case. Delete the space, save the file, reload and everything works fine.

I found similar issues in a couple of other files; an easy fix now I know. But others had other formatting issues, the most common being tags for different elements being incorrectly nested or random tags that should have been deleted but hadn't.

I don't understand why any of these should cause the preset file to be deleted as you describe but it seems they do. But it's less a bug in DS than inaccuracies in individual preset files. Maybe it wasn't a problem for the instrument creator - possibly on a different OS? Anyway the workaround is to just examine the files for incorrect formatting and correct it.

I still can't find a fix for NFO Chamber Strings Keys.dspreset, so if you work it out please post!

Hope this helps.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Breezy

Code: Select all

Opening the preset file in a text editor I found this; <effect type="lowpass" frequency="22000 "/> - note the space before the final ". It's the only value in the file where that's the case. Delete the space, save the file, reload and everything works fine.

I'm afraid your description doesn't match anything I can see: is there a literal . in the file? Can you please paste the lines (preferably the whole file) which works for you?

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Breezy
Established Member

Post by Breezy »

Line 80

<effect type="lowpass" frequency="22000 "/>

Deleting the space so it becomes

<effect type="lowpass" frequency="22000"/>

worked for me.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Breezy Thanks for clarifying!

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz