Line6PocketPOD vs iRIgHD2 vs Behrinher guitar link UCG102

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

grafeno30@gmail.com

Line6PocketPOD vs iRIgHD2 vs Behrinher guitar link UCG102

Post by grafeno30@gmail.com »

Hi everybody,

I am going to install ubuntu Studio.

I have a Behringer Guitar Link guitar/usb interface UCG102, iRig HD2 and Line6 pocket POD

What would be the best option to play the guitar with Ubuntu Studio?

What app do you suggest to play the guitar in Ubuntu Studio?

Thank you very much!!!!
Natelok
Established Member

Re: Line6PocketPOD vs iRIgHD2 vs Behrinher guitar link UCG102

Post by Natelok »

My go to is Guitarix! It can be a little tricky at first, because it's all the things at once, for example it has valve emulation, a tonestack with guitar models, and individual amp model plugins and cabinet model plugins, plus all the effect, plus convolution based amp and cabs. You can use it all at once, or turn bits off and only use some parts.

For something simple to get started with, ToneLib GFX is quite good. It has a very simple interface and great sound.

I use both but mostly guitarix. It's a bit harder to learn but really worth the effort.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

You will want to find a recent Guitarix version as well. Ubuntu might have a dated version. Version 42 and newer has some really nice improvements to the tube sound.

You can also use Carla to build a rack of guitar processing. Much of Guitarix is available as plugins so you can mix and match with other plugins. Not all plugins can be imported into Guitarix.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Guitarix dev recently released 'MetalTone' plugin, that has a wide wide range on which to build tone. I added the
Gx_chorus, one of the many Gx_delay options, and a reverb, with really excellent results. I often use the Rakarrack
multi-effects panel, over 40 effects, to be placed in the panel holding 8 at a time. The 180 preset panels
each use several of the possible 8 effects, (each cab be on or off, and many of the effects have several presets)
and are a good variety for inspiration to get creative, creating unique panels. The free Surge synthesizer includes a
separate multi-effects plugin that is also easy to use for excellent results. I also have an iRig HD2, and often will
use the line-in on an mAudio pci soundcard, to use the Amplitube 5 SE that was bundled with the iRig. It works quite well in the recent 7.11 and newer wine releases, although I prefer the Amplitube 4 gui. BlueCat Axiom is my favorite toolset for guitar. Their demos fade out sound briefly every 30 seconds or so, to test without annoyance.

I also use a couple of Fender usb guitar amps, the modeling, possible chains, and results, are excellent.

I use Reaper for plugin host, with it's lv2 and vst support, the possible combinations will leave you devoid of free time.
Cheers