Trouble with WineASIO and Jack

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Reap404
Established Member

Trouble with WineASIO and Jack

Post by Reap404 »

I'm new to Linux and am using a Rocksmith Realtone Cable with Jack 2 and WineASIO. So far the programs register the strumming of my strings, but I have no idea how to get the programs to play them back to me.

I am currently using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Trouble with WineASIO and Jack

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Have you tried good 'ol Audacity?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Reap404 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 pm I'm new to Linux and am using a Rocksmith Realtone Cable with Jack 2 and WineASIO. So far the programs register the strumming of my strings, but I have no idea how to get the programs to play them back to me.

You don't say what programs you use?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

tavasti wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 am
Reap404 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:23 pm I'm new to Linux and am using a Rocksmith Realtone Cable with Jack 2 and WineASIO. So far the programs register the strumming of my strings, but I have no idea how to get the programs to play them back to me.

You don't say what programs you use?
I've tried using Jack2's QjackCtl with WineASIO, and Reaper version 6.59. I've also tried configuring Qjackctl to use ALSA instead, but I get similar results.

Once again, they all register the strumming of my guitar when I use the ASIO setting, but I also want hear it played back to me with as little latency as possible.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am Have you tried good 'ol Audacity?
Haven't tried Audacity yet for Linux. The Windows version worked quite well, though.

UPDATE: Jack knows I'm playing, but when I tried to play my guitar back via Jack, I hear silence. Not just when I play, but while I playback anything I recorded via Jack. I then switched to ALSA in Reaper to play it back and I heard every note perfectly. I really wanna get this ASIO to work properly.

I.e. Audio Input works just fine with Jack. Output doesn't work, though.

UPDATE 2:

I think it would help if I posted the log file here.
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 60
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:Adapter|hw:Adapter|64|2|44100|0|0|nomon|hwmeter|soft-mode|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 64 frames (1.5 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/60) (1: Operation not permitted)
AcquireSelfRealTime error
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

With native linux programs you don't need WineASIO. And definitely, for Reaper, you should use native version.

Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

I just switched to the native version of Reaper for Linux. What's the best way to reduce latency when using the RealTone cable?

EDIT: I switched Jack2 to use ALSA instead earlier as well. The result is located in my previous post.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Reap404 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:13 pm I just switched to the native version of Reaper for Linux. What's the best way to reduce latency when using the RealTone cable?

EDIT: I switched Jack2 to use ALSA instead earlier as well. The result is located in my previous post.
The Realtone cable you are referring to appears to be made for a game called "Realtone". According to the little info I could find on the cable (link Amazon) there may be more than one brand making such a cable.

To make a long story short: it might be the cable (I think there's some sort of circuitry/chip converting audio to usb). If not, somebody here might help you with settings for Jack and/or Alsa to reduce latency in general.

BTW Did you know that Alsa is the audio driver for Linux and Jack is but a "layer" upon Alsa to function like a Swiss army knife for Linux's audio applications? You can also choose in Reaper to not use Jack but Alsa directly. Maybe that helps a bit... But I ain't no expert on latency though.
Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am
Reap404 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:13 pm I just switched to the native version of Reaper for Linux. What's the best way to reduce latency when using the RealTone cable?

The Realtone cable you are referring to appears to be made for a game called "Realtone". According to the little info I could find on the cable (link Amazon) there may be more than one brand making such a cable.

To make a long story short: it might be the cable (I think there's some sort of circuitry/chip converting audio to usb). If not, somebody here might help you with settings for Jack and/or Alsa to reduce latency in general.

BTW Did you know that Alsa is the audio driver for Linux and Jack is but a "layer" upon Alsa to function like a Swiss army knife for Linux's audio applications? You can also choose in Reaper to not use Jack but Alsa directly. Maybe that helps a bit... But I ain't no expert on latency though.
Thanks. And sorry I took so long to post.

The problem is solved with Reaper specifically when I switch to ALSA directly. But ALSA triggers an exclusivity mode of sorts.

But I'm still having the same old problems with Jack2 and my Rocksmith Realtone Cable. I got it to work once by switching the output to my headphones and keeping the input as the cable itself. But that no longer works either. It won't work for Rocksmith(I've tried everything) either.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Reap404 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm But I'm still having the same old problems with Jack2 and my Rocksmith Realtone Cable. I got it to work once by switching the output to my headphones and keeping the input as the cable itself. But that no longer works either. It won't work for Rocksmith(I've tried everything) either.
How do you actually use it with jack? Can you see it in your connections?

Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

tavasti wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:21 pm
Reap404 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm But I'm still having the same old problems with Jack2 and my Rocksmith Realtone Cable. I got it to work once by switching the output to my headphones and keeping the input as the cable itself. But that no longer works either. It won't work for Rocksmith(I've tried everything) either.
How do you actually use it with jack? Can you see it in your connections?
I just reinstalled Rocksmith and tried messing with RSASIO. When I do the steps right with the least amount of errors, I get complete silence on the output. No sounds coming from the program or my guitar. The guitar registers in the program, but complete dead silence to my headset as long as Jack is running.

EDIT: What I see in my connections are green ports, purple ports, and red ports. None of which I can connect to each other.

EDIT 2: I've been told that Downgrading to Jack 1 from Jack 2 might help fix this problem. Just haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Reap404 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:53 pm I just reinstalled Rocksmith and tried messing with RSASIO. When I do the steps right with the least amount of errors, I get complete silence on the output. No sounds coming from the program or my guitar. The guitar registers in the program, but complete dead silence to my headset as long as Jack is running.

EDIT: What I see in my connections are green ports, purple ports, and red ports. None of which I can connect to each other.

EDIT 2: I've been told that Downgrading to Jack 1 from Jack 2 might help fix this problem. Just haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
1) don't know what is RSASIO, I am pretty sure I don't have such, and everything works

2) telling how connections looks does not tell too much, there is many programs which can be used to make connections. How about screenshots?

3) jack1 and jack2 are two separate jack implementations, so switching between them is not upgrade or downgrade. Yeah, confusing, I know.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Reap404 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm [...]
The problem is solved with Reaper specifically when I switch to ALSA directly. But ALSA triggers an exclusivity mode of sorts.
[...]
First: what @tavasti said.

Second: yep. That's how quirky audio works in Linux. ALSA is the audio driver/server in Linux. And it will serve one client at the time only. In your case the client is Reaper. That's why Linux has that awful PulseAudio (PA). It's a layer on top of Alsa so more than one program at the time can use audio.

Instead of PA we Linuxers can also use Jack. Jack is better for music production. Like I said: it's a sort of Swiss army knife for audio.

To make things even more confusing for you: al that is on its way out. The latest Linux distributions use Pipewire (PW) which is supposed to replace 'm all. But to keep things nice and confusing applications that are not "Pipeware aware" may still be configured to use Jack Audio. Pipewire behaves like Jack then (there's a better way to explain it but I dont know how). I still have to figure out how that Jack/PW thing.

To come back on your "audio device" ('Realtone' cable): a cable to connect a guitar to a computer. You might want to look for a better solution. I don't play guitar so I don't know if the cheap Behringer U-Phoria audio devices support guitar without latency. And the latest revisions of the U-Phoria devices need the latest and greatest Linux versions. There's a long topic on that.

Behrringer and guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedavfY ... el=Edwin-E
Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

tavasti wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:37 am [...]
2) telling how connections looks does not tell too much, there is many programs which can be used to make connections. How about screenshots?
[...]

Here is a screenshot of what my Jack connections looks like. So far, I get radio silence everytime I try to use it. If you need any more images, I'll upload them soon.

EDIT: I also tried connecting those two connections in the image that appear disconnected. Same result.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:32 am
Reap404 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:05 pm [...]
[...]
First: what @tavasti said.

Second: yep. That's how quirky audio works in Linux. ALSA is the audio driver/server in Linux. And it will serve one client at the time only. In your case the client is Reaper. That's why Linux has that awful PulseAudio (PA). It's a layer on top of Alsa so more than one program at the time can use audio.

Instead of PA we Linuxers can also use Jack. Jack is better for music production. Like I said: it's a sort of Swiss army knife for audio.

To make things even more confusing for you: al that is on its way out. The latest Linux distributions use Pipewire (PW) which is supposed to replace 'm all. But to keep things nice and confusing applications that are not "Pipeware aware" may still be configured to use Jack Audio. Pipewire behaves like Jack then (there's a better way to explain it but I dont know how). I still have to figure out how that Jack/PW thing.

To come back on your "audio device" ('Realtone' cable): a cable to connect a guitar to a computer. You might want to look for a better solution. I don't play guitar so I don't know if the cheap Behringer U-Phoria audio devices support guitar without latency. And the latest revisions of the U-Phoria devices need the latest and greatest Linux versions. There's a long topic on that.

Behrringer and guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedavfY ... el=Edwin-E
I'm looking into it as we speak. Just praying I find the right fit for me.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Reap404 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm Image

Here is a screenshot of what my Jack connections looks like. So far, I get radio silence everytime I try to use it. If you need any more images, I'll upload them soon.
Ok, you are using qjackctl. Please show your Audio-tab from connections.

Reap404
Established Member

Post by Reap404 »

tavasti wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:23 am
Reap404 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:13 pm Image

Ok, you are using qjackctl. Please show your Audio-tab from connections.

Here you go. Do you also need me to show you the midi tab?