No sound audible

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

bitsnpcs
Established Member

No sound audible

Postby bitsnpcs » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm

Hello,
I am not able to get mic sound to be heard through the speakers.
The set up I am using is Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 64 Bit as the sole OS on a desktop computer by Punch Technology, memory 16GB, processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 12, Graphics Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2).

I have 2 mics both are working correctly, a Fifine K6, and a AKG D112 MKII, these are connected in to Mic 1 and mic 2 of a Mackie ProFX 4 V2, using Main Out jack to RCA adapters then an RCA to 3.5mm which goes in to the Line in of the computer.
From the Line out the cable goes to a multi adapter/splitter un-powered (starfish type).
Also in to that adapter goes my other desktop computer which is also Linux but not switched on whilst trying to set this up.
Out of the starfish adapter are a pair of powered Logitech small desk speakers, I usually listen to audio by plugging my headphones in to the headphone socket on the front of these.
Also is an 3.5 to RCA cable going to an amplifier on pc setting of its dial, this feeds out to x2 of 800w dual 8inch bass speakers floor mounted, it means when I switch the amp on I can listen to music online or my music folder on desktop from the floor speakers, when I dont switch the amp on I can listen with headphones from the Logitech speakers.

All audio on the computer works, such as online, on the music folder of desktop, in audacity, and vlc player, I can also connect my phone (Android) in to the amp and play music out of the floor and desktop speakers.

Ubuntu settings for sound show the mic in the input settings and the lights light up when the mic is used but no sound is heard from the speakers.
I have tried increasing the settings that were not active in Alsamixer to no effect as yet, I have also installed pavucontrol this also detects the mic (only testing 1 at this time), and lights up as it is used, no audible sound is heard.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: No sound audible

Postby Michael Willis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Are you able to use Audacity to record audio from your mics? If that works, then my guess is that you don't have audio routed from your line-in to your line-out.

bitsnpcs
Established Member

Postby bitsnpcs » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:07 pm

I have done as you wrote and Yes I am able to record audio from the mics using Audacity :)
How is the audio routed from my line-in to my line-out please ?

bluebell
Established Member

Postby bluebell » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 am

bitsnpcs wrote:I have done as you wrote and Yes I am able to record audio from the mics using Audacity :)
How is the audio routed from my line-in to my line-out please ?

As far as I know there are 2 ways to do it:

- Via hardware, e.g. with alsamixer. I guess that "monitor" and "capture" buttons do that
- Via software (with some additional latency), e.g. when setting up jack and connecting system:capture with system:playback
Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – https://soundcloud.com/suedwestlicht

Openmastering
Established Member

Postby Openmastering » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:55 am

It's "just" a monitoring problem.

It seems your setup is working fine, but you can't monitor your incoming signal. It's actually a "good" thing as you won't have feedback.

Dedicated audio interfaces usually have a knob for this. Or you can do it on the software side using jack and connecting your inputs to your outputs. Beware of feedback though.
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.

bitsnpcs
Established Member

Postby bitsnpcs » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Thank You Michael Willis, bluebell, and Openmastering.
I can keep it how it is now I understand how to use it this way :)

Return to “Newbies”