MOD Insolvency and Reboot

MOD Devices GmbH creates some cool Linux-powered audio gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

MOD Insolvency and Reboot

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: MOD Insolvency and Reboot

Post by sysrqer »

That's really sad to here but hopefully it will rise from the ashes. It's certainly a worrisome time we are in and I can't imagine trying to make a business work in this climate.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

:(
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very disappointing news indeed. The guys have put a lot of effort into this and acted with integrity (unlike some bigger companies). I sincerely hope the restructure can work.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I suggest reading through the comments under the linked article.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

nils wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:05 am I suggest reading through the comments under the linked article.
I have. What's your point?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

folderol wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:10 pm I have. What's your point?
https://forum.moddevices.com/search?q=% ... pic%3A8210
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

khz wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:53 pm
folderol wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:10 pm I have. What's your point?
https://forum.moddevices.com/search?q=% ... pic%3A8210
Yes... and?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I don't know. It could be that it could somehow continue with someone from the team, so that's the goal they have at the moment. If I have understood it correctly. Main feature is the Darf, I hope that then also the duox is maintained further. Let's wait and ... .
Mod Devices / falktx has among other things jackd decisively further developed and this comes to all of us (GNU / Linux) to good. So it would be nice if it somehow continues.

https://forum.moddevices.com/t/mod-insolvency-and-reboot/8210/129 wrote:No. Not yet. As I wrote in a reply above:

2 - MOD is not dead. It just smells funny.

(with apologies to @imtheslime and @midi.experiment for the Zappa-esque pun)

It is reassuring to see so many users stepping up to participate in a possible community undertaking of the platform.

Although I enjoy the idea and admire the attitude, I kindly ask you to hold on some more days. Until the very last chance is discarded, we are not going to throw out the towel. Furthermore, there is the legal status of insolvency that even prevent us from taking any decision on this right now.

That said, we will come up with solutions to release the system to the community once we have exhausted our chances to reboot.

Until there, we are focusing on the success of the reboot.

At the moment the accounts are blocked and I cannot put them back on because I am not authorised to release any payment nor make decisions regarding the old company.

Hence, I am focusing on making the reboot happen so that I can simply reactivate the servers with the new company.

If the reboot does not happen, then I will get back here to speak about how we can release things in another manner.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Typical Kickstarter stuff, people promising what they can't deliver and they are still wanting more money :roll:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Largos wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:03 am Typical Kickstarter stuff, people promising what they can't deliver and they are still wanting more money :roll:
I think this is the most ignorant comment I've ever seen on this forum.

Are you completely unaware of all the development over many years right from the original Mod?
These have all be very favourably reviewed right across the 'net. That doesn't sound much like "can't deliver" to me.
Far bigger companies have gone to the wall due to the exceptional circumstances of the last years, few of which are making any attempt to help their creditors, yet here we have a company that is jumping through hoops to try to support everyone - even though they could quite easily legally just walk away.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

A "good review on the net" doesn't help people that have sunk money in and got nothing back. Going insolvent when you owe people devices is pretty much the dictionary definition of "not delivering", so I don't know what you are calling ignorant. Perhaps read the thread instead of asking people to narrate it for you.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

[url]https://forum.moddevices.com/t/sharing-plugins-manually-from-a-device-to-another-one-without-using-the-store/8253/40[/url]falkTX wrote:to be honest, I think this is rushed panic action that does not really need to be taken.

getting most of the plugins is quite easy via mod-plugin-builder, that is where all the build rules and modguis come from, apart from a few commercial or closed source plugins.

the setup in https://github.com/moddevices/mod-live- ... s/Makefile can even be reused if we want to build everything while tracking their versions (auto rebuilds if something is updated)

I am personally interested on keeping the plugin store alive, be it with funding or without funding.
If company reboot does not happen, one possible plan to keep things online is to provide an alternative API endpoint that mod-ui can talk to, one that does not provide certain features (commercial plugins for one) but still allows to download plugins and perhaps update them from time to time.
the endpoint is a simple REST API, just json and binary files for plugins, so it is not complex to recreate in a new opensource form/project.

but it is best to wait a few more days until we have details on the company details.
if a reboot happens, it is likely we can just bring up the servers back online.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Kickstarter is just like any other speculative investment. You don't commit funds you can't afford to lose. There is no comparison with a large established organisation that has regular supplies and significant stocks. Also such a small concern as Mod is right at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to component suppliers, so it's no surprise they got hit particularly hard by all the disruption.

I've spoken to the Mod guys on several occasions at LACs, and had a little correspondence with them. To me, they come over as unconventional but genuine. I'm not in the market for any of their kit, but if I were, I would have committed funds like others have. I would have been upset to have potentially made a loss (it aint over till the fat lady sings), but wouldn't have belly-ached about it.

The Mod team have already said they will try to honour commitments, but they can't do it if they have no money, no materials, no workplace.

Finally, it doesn't pay to make unfounded assumptions. I have in fact read through the thread mentioned, and am fairly clear on on what some people seem to think. Doesn't alter any facts.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Ironically I've recently been thinking about how valuable a MOD device would.