AVLinux, Kontakt and FSYNC

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sirjohndfox
Established Member

AVLinux, Kontakt and FSYNC

Post by sirjohndfox »

Does the latest AVLinux have a Wine build with the FSYNC patches. I understand they're needed to get more performance from low-latency wine audio. I'm a bit confused conceptually as to how the wine version is picked-up by something like ya-bridge.

Has anybody installed wine-tkg on AVlinux?
Does it's kernel have the FSYNC patches?

I'm so close to having the perfect instrument but currently my Kontakt6 portable is causing audible xruns without any visible cpu or mem spikes. It performs fine on the same hardware under win7. I'd really like to get this ironed out.

Cheers

John
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: AVLinux, Kontakt and FSYNC

Post by glowrak guy »

I turned off multi-core support in K6*, and in my reaper daw, to get improved performance in AVLinux,
which has wine-staging 6.22. I have a quadcore-8-thread i7 cpu @ 3.4 ghz, so it does OK.
I can't answer your FSYNC or tkg query. You'd have to mod some settings to replace the default wine
in AVLinux, but as it is, it works well.

I have yabridge 3.8 to wrap my plugins, there's no interaction with it after the scan is finished.
Less than 1% of my non-dongled plugins fail to load. And some are working in other installs with
a newer 7.8 wine. I have the West Africa library loaded at the moment, with my youtube playlist humming,
and firefox behaving nicely, happy as a clam at high tide!

*I read that at some website that seemed reliable ages ago, but haven't checked to see if it still is needed. What ain't broke
ain't gettin' fixed :wink:
robisme
Established Member

Post by robisme »

Hi,
Sorry for waking up an old thread.
In Reaper, so you set only "1" in the number of cores of the buffer menu ? I have a 16 cores cpu, won't I loose something ?

deperito
Established Member

Post by deperito »

Hi @sirjohndfox ,

did you managed to understand if AVLinux have a Wine build with the FSYNC patches? I'm trying to understand it too, since I'm also having an xruns problem

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The discussion at the link has a range of things to consider, as many variables in software/hardware can effect results.

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... t-6.89416/

I keep multiple versions of linux Reaper, so having one for mainly Kontakt is easy, and Reaper likely has the best multi-core support
of daws we can use in linux. As mentioned at the link, saving a project requiring lots of resources can be used as needed to help determine
settings good for your current equipment.
Cheers