Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi,

EDIT: this post was originally, erroneously, about the Arturia MIDI Control Centre.

The actual problem is that the MIDI Driver installer says it doesn't recognise the operating system and won't install.

This is the original post, for reference:
Has anybody managed to get Arturia's Midi Control Centre to work in WINE?

I've recently become the very happy owner of a DrumBrute Impact which ain't half a lot of fun but, as is becoming increasingly and tediously the norm, several of the setup functions, along with pattern management, are only accessible to Windows/Mac users via the Midi Control Centre software.

It loads fine in WINE - as per the screenshot below - but can't find the DrumBrute Impact.

Is there something I can do to help it out?

Thanks.

Last edited by Primeval_Mudd on Fri May 20, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dave Plummer/Primeval Mudd*

Ubuntu Studio | Reaper (Linux native)

Facebook | YouTube

• Should you be wondering, Primeval Mudd is an anagram of David Plummer.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Arturia Midi Control Centre - has anybody got it working in WINE?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

If you click on the pull-down menu called "Device" is the Drumbrute Impact listed under 'Connected' and does it have a blue check mark next to it? (manual)
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi @Linuxmusician01,

Being a bit of an idiot something exceptionally obvious just struck me: the problem probably lies with the Arturia MIDI Driver which I can't install as it says it doesn't recognise the operating system.

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:40 am If you click on the pull-down menu called "Device" is the Drumbrute Impact listed under 'Connected' and does it have a blue check mark next to it? (manual)
The dropdown lists a load of Arturia kit to pick from:

The DrumBrute Impact is listed but that doesn't really mean anything:

Facebook | YouTube

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm[...] Arturia MIDI Driver which I can't install as it says it doesn't recognise the operating system.

The DrumBrute Impact is listed but that doesn't really mean anything:
The Drumbrute is listed under "Disconnected" and not as "Connected". That does say something. Like you said: it probably needs a specific driver to be recognized.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Post by glowrak guy »

There are dozens of different wines, but I have had good luck in general, with recent wine-staging 7.7 and newer,
in a Ubuntu 20.04 spinoff, Bodhi 6.x

AVLinux has a good wine 6.22 setup by default, so a live dvd would be a testing option.

There are some manjaro (arch-linux) musicians at the linux reaper forum, and a guide for musicians
actively being updated, a good resource even outside of Arch systems.

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Have you tried booting with the device unplugged, and then inserting it, then attempting to
install the software? And repeted in all the various types of usb port on your computer?
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi @glowrak guy,

Thanks for your suggestions.
glowrak guy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 pm There are dozens of different wines, but I have had good luck in general, with recent wine-staging 7.7 and newer,
in a Ubuntu 20.04 spinoff, Bodhi 6.x

AVLinux has a good wine 6.22 setup by default, so a live dvd would be a testing option.
I've both Ubuntu and AVLinux in their own partitions on the 'Creative Dave' drive and have tried with both, but there's no harm trying in AVL again. The AVL Wine setup actually makes the LPD8 patch editor readable!

There are some manjaro (arch-linux) musicians at the linux reaper forum, and a guide for musicians
actively being updated, a good resource even outside of Arch systems.

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Ta. I'm on the Reaper forums a fair bit. I'm Socket over there, something I really, really want to change but I've had no replies from the admins when I've asked. Hey ho.
Have you tried booting with the device unplugged, and then inserting it, then attempting to
install the software? And repeated in all the various types of usb port on your computer?
Several times but, again, there's no harm in having another go.

Facebook | YouTube

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

It won't work. The software needs a driver and it's either impossible or very hard to get that to work in Wine. I have a Beatstep Pro myself and tried the Arturia software in Wine. But it didn't recognize anything so for updating or configuring the device I have to resort to a supported OS.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

I can't even find the 'Midi driver' on their website, nor is there any mention of it on the Drumbrute Impact's website or in the Downloads section of the Arturia website. Yet I see in one of the screenshots here a file called "ArturiaMIDI_DriverSetup.exe" indeed...

Where did y'all download this driver...?

P.S. I own an old little Arturia Minilab 25 keyboard. It needs software for changing settings. Guess how that's called? Yep: Midi Control Center (MCC). However, in my personal notes on this keyboard that I made years ago I wrote that I downloaded the WinXP version of MCC from the Arturia website (www.arturia.com/minilab/resources) that was listed under "Show archives" and then "Extra resources". Guess what. The WinXP version (3.3 MB) is gone. I swore I'd never buy a music product again that needs software. The instrument lasts longer than the software.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 am I can't even find the 'Midi driver' on their website, nor is there any mention of it on the Drumbrute Impact's website or in the Downloads section of the Arturia website. Yet I see in one of the screenshots here a file called "ArturiaMIDI_DriverSetup.exe" indeed...

It's included in the MCC .zip file.
P.S. I own an old little Arturia Minilab 25 keyboard. It needs software for changing settings. Guess how that's called? Yep: Midi Control Center (MCC). However, in my personal notes on this keyboard that I made years ago I wrote that I downloaded the WinXP version of MCC from the Arturia website (www.arturia.com/minilab/resources) that was listed under "Show archives" and then "Extra resources". Guess what. The WinXP version (3.3 MB) is gone. I swore I'd never buy a music product again that needs software. The instrument lasts longer than the software.
The list of gear that doesn't rely on OS-dependent software appears to diminishing rapidly.

Bring back SysEx!

Facebook | YouTube

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

autostatic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 am It won't work. The software needs a driver and it's either impossible or very hard to get that to work in Wine. I have a Beatstep Pro myself and tried the Arturia software in Wine. But it didn't recognize anything so for updating or configuring the device I have to resort to a supported OS.
Gah! Thanks.

It looks increasingly like I'm going to have to buy Windows and introduce myself to the world of VMs.

All I want to do is make music!

Facebook | YouTube

scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 pm It looks increasingly like I'm going to have to buy Windows and introduce myself to the world of VMs.
Sound gets pretty choppy on a VM. I tried it for reasons similar to yours and was greatly disappointed, even after tuning things up.
---scott

LinkedIn
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

scott.thomason wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Primeval_Mudd wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:36 pm It looks increasingly like I'm going to have to buy Windows and introduce myself to the world of VMs.
Sound gets pretty choppy on a VM. I tried it for reasons similar to yours and was greatly disappointed, even after tuning things up.
Thanks for the warning. I'll only be using it for patch management and firmware updates so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

A friend has offered the use of their laptop but I don't want to install software on somebody else's computer which they have absolutely no use for.

Facebook | YouTube

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:34 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 am [...]
It's included in the MCC .zip file.
In the download section for the Drumbrute Impact I can only find an executable named "MIDI_Control_Center_1_13_6_8.exe", no Zip file. Did you download an older version maybe?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

scott.thomason wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:38 pm
Well, maybe only for updating firmware and running the odd config utility for hardware one might want to have a Virtulabox with Win 7. Unfortunately my experience with a Windows virtual machine on Linux is that it's perfectly fine unless you try to access hardware for a firmware update. Linux does not always want the vir. mach access (usb) hardware directly.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Win 10 installer is publicly downloadable, and it is possible to use without registering it.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM