Warning for IK Multimedia products - maybe not possible to install in Linux anymore?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Warning for IK Multimedia products - maybe not possible to install in Linux anymore?

Post by tavasti »

I recently got some free Syntronik modules. Looks like IK Multimedia does not anymore provide downloads on their website. So if you have situation like me, you can't install their products. For me their product manager works, but it is unable to download any products. It is possible, that downloading those packages in windows machine with IK-PM and get those install packages from download directory would be possible.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Warning for IK Multimedia products - maybe not possible to install in Linux anymore?

Post by glowrak guy »

What shows up on your support page?

ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/

This still has all my purchases available, including Syntronik 2 CS, and the download links work.
Maybe the group buy fallout is effecting the speed with which your new and free products are processed?
Also, the latest downloads (installers included) are kept in the 'Past Releases' tab on each product panel, except for any
huge sample libs which are pulled after 180 days from purchase. These can be re-enabled for the entire account for a small fee.

If you open a support ticket, it might take longer than normal to engage intelligent life forms :wink:
Last edited by glowrak guy on Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Warning for IK Multimedia products - maybe not possible to install in Linux anymore?

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 pm What shows up on your support page?

ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/
All products are there like before, and they have all download links like they have been, and those new stuff appears there. I got 2x syntronik 1 modules, and one has sound downloads, another does not. I have been passing emails with their support bit over week, and no, not resolved. Support keeps telling install with IK-PM.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

If you're in the group buy, I'd clear the web browser cache, and re-download each synth that fails, repeatably, as needed,
while asking IK Peter to upgrade your support ticket if there are differences in how your products are made available.
You deserve access to the same installer/data that any product-manager software has access to.

If you have previously installed Syntronik 1, it can in some cases adversely effect the Syntronik 2 process,
so a V1 uninstall and registry clean-up might be needed, or maybe easier to install a new .wine folder,
or a newer linux on an external drive. Hope they get things working for you soon!

I found MODO Drum CS in My Products, I sure didn't put it there :shock: but I installed it from the downloadeded .zip files,
without needing the product manager. Sounds and looks excellent in windows Reaper with wine-staging 7.8
in Bodhi Linux (ubuntu 20.04 spinoff)
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Ran yabridgectl sync, and MODO Drum is now working in linux reaper, tried the vst3i, and Reaper took about 30 seconds
(long long seconds) to scan it. Loaded Syntronik 2 in that session, with signs that a cpu/ram upgrade might be needed
sometime in the future. $ :( $
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:47 pm If you're in the group buy, I'd clear the web browser cache, and re-download each synth that fails, repeatably, as needed,
while asking IK Peter to upgrade your support ticket if there are differences in how your products are made available.
You deserve access to the same installer/data that any product-manager software has access to.
No, not in group buy, and with this experience, not going to participate.

All other IK multimedia stuff if fine downloadable, but Syntronik 1 Pro-V synth, no.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I checked my IK account, and it appears the Pro-V was one of IK's free teasers, and all of it's functions are provided by one's free or paid version of Syntronik, so no synth installer is needed, just the sound content installer, which provides four folders, one for 900 meg of samples, one for the .st3i sounds presets, one for multis, and one for 'Library Info'. This is my install path:

users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3/Instruments/53__Syntronik Pro-V/Factory

When you download your sounds content, perhaps after a re-activation fee, you'll find

Syntronik-Pro_V-install/SYN_Pro-V/Install Syntronik Sound Content.exe

What I do, is go to the (in this case) SYN_Pro-V folder, which contains the above 4 folders, and copy the folders where they need to be. I did the same for the full Syntronik 1, and Sampletank 4, starting with the best and most needed sounds...others will have to wait.

Unfortunately, when you extract the SYN_Pro-V.zip, it produces a file and folder with generic names,
"Syntronik Sound Content" and "Install Syntronik Sound Content.exe"

It's just lazy, or perhaps it's automated, but failing to provide the product instrument name, and can be confusing if interrupted in an install session. At least the customer can choose to drag & drop the extracted folders, or have wine run the sounds installer.

and then...
IK's much maligned policy of allowing 6 months for downloading the large sample content files, before requiring a small fee to (globally) renew all the account sounds downloads, for another 6 months.

In my account, the Pro-V sounds would need to be reactivated, being past the 6 month limit, but I always back up such archives in triplicate drives, so not an issue.

I have close to 500 gig of IK files, some are un-archived, so a small cloud-storage activation fee that includes all my sample content and authorization/instrument data going back many years, and dozens of products is a bargain, and a further hedge against my losing it all in some blunder or calamity. :shock:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:31 pm I checked my IK account, and it appears the Pro-V was one of IK's free teasers, and all of it's functions are provided by one's free or paid version of Syntronik, so no synth installer is needed, just the sound content installer, which provides four folders, one for 900 meg of samples, one for the .st3i sounds presets, one for multis, and one for 'Library Info'. This is my install path:
Just that is problem, for Pro-V sound content download does not appear in their website. And IK-PM cannot download anything for me.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

At the main IK website, choose the menu options:

Support
User Area
My Products

Scroll down your products list to

Syntronik Pro-V
SYN_Pro-V.jpg
SYN_Pro-V.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
If it's there, click the Sounds Download button. If the 6 month download time limit expired,
you'll be prompted to purchase another account-wide 6month back-up window.

If it's not there, you'll have to convince IK staff that you legally aquired it. It was included in the free Beat Magazine content,
back issue for sale under $6 :

https://www.discountmags.com/au/magazin ... 21-digital

mentioned at https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2021/1 ... ro-v-free/
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

@glowrak guy you think I don't understand or know:
Last edited by tavasti on Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

First, don't post serial numbers, pull the screenshot, or paint out the numbers.
Second, when people are not posting specifics, trying to help requires some
reading between the lines, and filling in the blanks. Not intended to be an insult.
Also, the details might help someone else down the road.

Send the sceenshot to ik support if you haven't done that yet. Looks like something
easy for them to fix. After the serial numbers are hidden, I'd also send the pic
to IK rep DarkStar, found at the group-buy topic, link below, who is known to prod support into action,
IK's other rep, Peter, will likely see it, the more eyes, the better! Good luck,
it's a great sounding synth!

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=270
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:23 pm First, don't post serial numbers, pull the screenshot, or paint out the numbers.
Good point, thanks! However, when getting those from magazine, I don't think there is upper limit how many times I can get new serial for them :-)
glowrak guy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:23 pm Send the sceenshot to ik support if you haven't done that yet. Looks like something
easy for them to fix. After the serial numbers are hidden, I'd also send the pic
to IK rep DarkStar, found at the group-buy topic, link below, who is known to prod support into action,
IK's other rep, Peter, will likely see it, the more eyes, the better! Good luck,
it's a great sounding synth!

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=270
I've been discussing with IK support for two weeks, explained thing many times, and after 6th time support person understood problem. Before it, she was just reapeating over and over 'install with IK-PM'. After she understood, response was 'We have contacted our team about your situation'. That was 3 days ago.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Don't give up, this is pretty normal for IK and other big plugin companies, and IK is a leader in both sales and weird support problems. :roll:
But customers grit their teeth and slog through, because the sounds and results are good. Korg and Izotope...buy their products using linux, and the same web browser connection used to buy their stuff, might not even even be found by their authorization tool, or their offline alternatives. :shock:

I've found that Sampletank 3 is excellent for hosting the Syntronik 1 instruments. The Sampletank 4 and Syntronik 1 gui's
require a bit of luck under one's linux hood, the hardware and software variables required are not the strong suit of wine,
so experiments are often needed. The wine terminal output makes me dizzy. :wink: IK now have a couple thousand new beta testers,
er, I mean customers, so many bugs and oddities are bound to show up.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:53 am Don't give up, this is pretty normal for IK and other big plugin companies, and IK is a leader in both sales and weird support problems. :roll:
But customers grit their teeth and slog through, because the sounds and results are good.
This case seems to take really long, same questions passed many times, but I think they are slowly getting idea what is wrong, but for some reason they haven't fixed problem. Most likely some 3rd party has made their system, and when one thing goes bit wrong, nobody can fix the database. Or designer of database has left company, and nobody knows internals.

k410
Established Member

Post by k410 »

This seems like a relevant thread for my post.

I have just installed IK Product Manager 1.0.4 using winehq-staging-7.12, into its own wineprefix with Windows version set to Windows 10.

The IK PM installed fine, and shows my products and the moving promo marquee at the top after I log in.

When I click to install an app (just the app, not the sample content; I have tried Amplitude 4 and Sampletank 4 on separate tries), the promo marquee stops moving and nothing seems to happen. On the second try (Sampletank 4), I went to do something else for a few minutes in case IK PM needed to download something in the background before it showed any activity -- but nothing seems to have happened.

In both cases I was able to close the IK PM window normally, despite the interface seeming to be frozen.

UPDATE: The solution (found in another thread here) is to manually download the installer by way of the Past Releases button for each product to be installed, on the My Product's page at IKM's website. Run the installers, then (if needed) use the IK Product Manager to authorized them. In my case, AT4 and ST4 were already authorized when I check the IK PM after installation. BTW, when I installed AT4, I canceled the two additional installation that followed the main one: one for the older IK Authorization Wizard and one for CS Shop.