(SOLVED)Trying To Get Valhalla To Work

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mdiemer
Established Member

(SOLVED)Trying To Get Valhalla To Work

Post by mdiemer »

I downloaded Valhalla Room demo, and used Linvst to convert it. But the .dll files are greyed-out, so it can't select them to do the conversion. I have used Linvst for several other things and did not have this problem. I believe I did see that someone had it working on Linux, in this forum. I'm using Ubuntu Studio. I have the kontakt and Aria Players working, so I don't know why this wouldn't. Although I have encountered this problem with other plugins as well. I may be doing something wrong. I usually use Play On Linux, although sometimes regular Wine. I tried both but got the same result.
Last edited by mdiemer on Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Trying To Get Valhalla To Work

Post by sysrqer »

I have the Valhalla plugins working. I guess there's some wine component you need to install but I can say that they work with yabridge for me.
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Thanks. I guess I should give Yabridge a try. I use Linvst because I know how to do it. Getting old and set in my ways, I guess...
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Solved it using Linvist. I tried yabridge, but I still haven't figured it out. But I found what i was doing wrong with Linvist (just some navigation errors).
Demoing it now. Sounds pretty good, but not sure I'll buy it yet, need more testing.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: (SOLVED)Trying To Get Valhalla To Work

Post by ubuntuuser »

The Valhalla plugins work with LinVst. in fact they are one of the most wine compatible plugins out there imo.

That's why I use them for testing every now and then for testing LinVst development.

Testing, such as automation of parameters etc and then comparing the results with Valhalla plugins running on Windows 10.

It's pretty interesting that with plugins such as the Valhalla ones being used with LinVst, the difference in automation performance and general playback latency performance on Windows 10 and Linux (using Reaper) seems to be quite small (using a i7 system), but this can easily be broken by some Linux setups that havn't set up real time audio priorities and some kernels, that's my general experience.

Automation of parameters performance with a Windows vst running using a Linux vst bridge can be not that great and it's probably the hardest thing to emulate with a Linux vst bridge and get similar performance to a vst running under Windows 10, various vst Linux bridges might vary in performance with things like parameter automation etc.

The hardest part with Linux and running windows vst's imo is setting things up and knowing what to set up and getting used to workarounds to common config problems and dealing with Wine's limitations/quirks/setups, some vst's will probably never run with Wine, that's just how it is.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

About yabridge, since linvst has already made .so versions, I would make one new unique path, just for testing yabridge, and put some uncomplicated plugins there. Set you daw to see just that unique path, for the duration of the test, then, use the parts below, inserting your new unique path where needed. (the free Valhalla Supermassive reverb works fine here)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To use yabridge, unpack the yabridge archive in

/home/you/.local/share

This will create a Yabridge folder. Copy it's contents to

/usr/bin

Create and populate your vst paths like in the commands below, in your .wine folder,
observe the use of quotes in paths and app titles containing spaces.
These examples are pretty much the standard simple windows vst paths, but more complex collections from the likes of IK Multimedia and Native Instruments will have custom vst locations to use.

/home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 bit"

yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/users/VstPlugins
yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/VstPlugins"
yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Common Files/VST3"
yabridgectl add /home/you/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins"

Next, run the command:

yabridgectl sync

This will commence the scanning of plugins, and creation of the linux vst versions
with .so extensions.

Run the above command each time you make changes to your vst collection,
or update the yabridge version

Cheers
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

ubuntuuser wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:16 am The Valhalla plugins work with LinVst. in fact they are one of the most wine compatible plugins out there imo.

That's why I use them for testing every now and then for testing LinVst development.

Testing, such as automation of parameters etc and then comparing the results with Valhalla plugins running on Windows 10.

It's pretty interesting that with plugins such as the Valhalla ones being used with LinVst, the difference in automation performance and general playback latency performance on Windows 10 and Linux (using Reaper) seems to be quite small (using a i7 system), but this can easily be broken by some Linux setups that havn't set up real time audio priorities and some kernels, that's my general experience.

Automation of parameters performance with a Windows vst running using a Linux vst bridge can be not that great and it's probably the hardest thing to emulate with a Linux vst bridge and get similar performance to a vst running under Windows 10, various vst Linux bridges might vary in performance with things like parameter automation etc.

The hardest part with Linux and running windows vst's imo is setting things up and knowing what to set up and getting used to workarounds to common config problems and dealing with Wine's limitations/quirks/setups, some vst's will probably never run with Wine, that's just how it is.
I have generally good success with Windows Vst/i's. My only spetacular failure was with trying to get East West stuff going. not only did it not work, it messed up things on Windows, so that I had to uninstall/reinstall iLok, using info from their support site (you have to do it exactly the way they say). Somehow in the process my eLicenser dongle also got messed up, and weirdly got fixed when iLok was reinstalled. May have something to do with Vienna Libraries moving from eLicenser to iLok.

Maybe someday it will be possible to run dongle-controlled stuff on Linux, but by then I'll probably have moved on anyway to stuff that doesn't need them. Fortunately, I can replace both my EW and VSL libraries with Cinematic Woods etc, or Cinesamples etc. I currently have Cinematic Strings working on Kontakt. Cinesamples also uses Kontakt, so I would just need to cough up the money. Thye quality would be as good.
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:27 am About yabridge, since linvst has already made .so versions, I would make one new unique path, just for testing yabridge, and put some uncomplicated plugins there. Set you daw to see just that unique path, for the duration of the test, then, use the parts below, inserting your new unique path where needed. (the free Valhalla Supermassive reverb works fine here)

/home/you/.local/share

/usr/bin

Create and populate your vst paths like in the commands below, in your .wine folder,
These examples are pretty much the standard simple windows vst paths, but more complex collections from the likes of IK Multimedia and Native Instruments will have custom vst locations to use.

Next, run the command:

yabridgectl sync

This will commence the scanning of plugins, and creation of the linux vst versions
with .so extensions.

Cheers
I'll give it another shot, glowrak guy. Incidentally, the instructions you provided were exactly what I used. I found them in another thread on this forum. I'm sure I screwed up some syntax or something. I'm a terrible typist (which made things tough when I was an English major many years ago).

I'll try your suggestion with Supermassive. It did take me awhile to figure out Linvist, so nothing unusual here. I eventually find my way, it just takes me longer than most.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

mdiemer wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:36 pm
ubuntuuser wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:16 am The Valhalla plugins work with LinVst. in fact they are one of the most wine compatible plugins out there imo.

I have generally good success with Windows Vst/i's. My only spetacular failure was with trying to get East West stuff going. not only did it not work, it messed up things on Windows, so that I had to uninstall/reinstall iLok, using info from their support site (you have to do it exactly the way they say). Somehow in the process my eLicenser dongle also got messed up, and weirdly got fixed when iLok was reinstalled. May have something to do with Vienna Libraries moving from eLicenser to iLok.

Maybe someday it will be possible to run dongle-controlled stuff on Linux, but by then I'll probably have moved on anyway to stuff that doesn't need them. Fortunately, I can replace both my EW and VSL libraries with Cinematic Woods etc, or Cinesamples etc. I currently have Cinematic Strings working on Kontakt. Cinesamples also uses Kontakt, so I would just need to cough up the money. Thye quality would be as good.
That's just one of the problems that Wine has, hardware interface problems and I think it could possibly be added but it's not a high priority for the people working with Wine.

The software Ilok can work (on some systems) but dongles are another thing.

Another thing is the old d2d1 dll, which more modern based vst/vst3's might use and which is a mess in Wine and it can cause anything from crashes to weird display issues and black screens etc.

But in general, if a plugin doesn't have hardware protection and doesn't use the d2d1 dll then the chances of it running might be good, depends.

This applies to all Linux vst bridges, there is no vst/vst3 bridge that has magical unicorn answers to Wine limitations.

There can be differences between the different bridges, but I'm talking about what all of them have to use which is Wine.

The whole idea of a Wine based bridge is something I first hit on the Mac and just getting some Windows vst's running on a Mac was a big thing back then even though a lot didn't run, and it's basically the same with Linux, if someone can get their windows vst running then ok but getting all of them to run is another thing.

All the bridge programmer does is basically do a pass through from the Daw to Wine in hopefully the most efficient way they can, the programmer can't control Wine and it's current capabilities.
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Ignore - see next post. i screwed up on the quoting thing again...
Last edited by mdiemer on Mon May 02, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

[quote=ubuntuuser post_id=144491 time=1651377928 user_id=1376

That's just one of the problems that Wine has, hardware interface problems and I think it could possibly be added but it's not a high priority for the people working with Wine.

The software Ilok can work (on some systems) but dongles are another thing.

Another thing is the old d2d1 dll, which more modern based vst/vst3's might use and which is a mess in Wine and it can cause anything from crashes to weird display issues and black screens etc.

But in general, if a plugin doesn't have hardware protection and doesn't use the d2d1 dll then the chances of it running might be good, depends.

This applies to all Linux vst bridges, there is no vst/vst3 bridge that has magical unicorn answers to Wine limitations.

There can be differences between the different bridges, but I'm talking about what all of them have to use which is Wine.

The whole idea of a Wine based bridge is something I first hit on the Mac and just getting some Windows vst's running on a Mac was a big thing back then even though a lot didn't run, and it's basically the same with Linux, if someone can get their windows vst running then ok but getting all of them to run is another thing.

All the bridge programmer does is basically do a pass through from the Daw to Wine in hopefully the most efficient way they can, the programmer can't control Wine and it's current capabilities.
[/quote]

Very good info, thanks!
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:27 am About yabridge, since linvst has already made .so versions, I would make one new unique path, just for testing yabridge, and put some uncomplicated plugins there. Set you daw to see just that unique path, for the duration of the test, then, use the parts below, inserting your new unique path where needed. (the free Valhalla Supermassive reverb works fine here)

/home/you/.local/share

/usr/bin

Next, run the command:

yabridgectl sync

with .so extensions.

Cheers
I found I needed to amend the commands as from Robert's github page;

Whenever any step below mentions running yabridgectl <something>, then you should run ~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl <something> instead as ~/.local/share/yabridge is not in your search path so your shell won't be able to find yabridgectl otherwise.

finally worked!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I mentioned to copy the contents of the yabridge folder to /usr/bin
so the commands should then be available in your terminal without needing path info.
Glad you're having success, Roberts docs and forum support are excellent!

There's a 32 bit synth plugin called M-Theory you might like, and the lower left of the gui
is a nicely extensive dual arpeggiator, so lots of melodic and rythmic possibilities are there.
It's in the Ugo Audio list at

https://plugins4free.com/dev/26/

Cheers
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

Thanks Guy! I'll check that out.

I did copy the folder to usr/bin, but I still need to use the amended command. Who knows why. Important thing is I now have two ways to convert vst/i apps. If one doesn't work, maybe the other will.