OS Independent Firmware/Patch management

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

OS Independent Firmware/Patch management

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Hi,

Is anybody aware of a coordinated campaign calling on hardware manufacturers to provide OS-independent firmware updates/patch management etc?

I've a Behringer Crave, RD-6 and Korg Monologue, all of which have firmware updates available. Both Korg and Behringer are being disappointingly juvenile, telling me that the firmware can only be updated via their Windows/Mac and, in Behringer's case, iOS (not Android) dependent apps and refusing to send me the SysEx files.

Behringer are being particularly petty; they won't even tell me how to back up the Crave and RD-6 sequencer patterns, choosing again to tell me it can't be done without using their OS-dependent SynthTribe software.

Instead of helping me both have suggested that I use a friend's Windows computer!

I know that putting basic hardware management tools behind an OS wall is an ever-growing problem.

Beyond denying non-Windows/Mac users access to facilities that we've paid for there's a wider ethical issue:

This isn't some sort of shared ownership scheme - we've bought and paid for this equipment outright. It's ours to muck around with in any way we see fit and we should be given the tools to do so.

Lots of people face this problem - is there a campaign to get it sorted?

Dave Plummer/Primeval Mudd*

Ubuntu Studio | Reaper (Linux native)

Facebook | YouTube

• Should you be wondering, Primeval Mudd is an anagram of David Plummer.
folderol
Established Member

Re: OS Independent Firmware/Patch management

Post by folderol »

Return the kit as not fit for purpose and demand a full refund. You might have to argue, but unless things have changed - consumer law should be on your side.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Devices should be able to update themselves.

In the mean time, a lot of these type of programs will run perfectly in wine.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

folderol wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:21 pm Return the kit as not fit for purpose and demand a full refund. You might have to argue, but unless things have changed - consumer law should be on your side.
That would deprive me of gear I like and, more importantly, would do little to address the fundamental problem.

Facebook | YouTube

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

bluzee wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:17 am Devices should be able to update themselves.

In the mean time, a lot of these type of programs will run perfectly in wine.
I've tried both in WINE to no avail.

Facebook | YouTube

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

That would deprive me of gear I like and, more importantly, would do little to address the fundamental problem.
The majyk with the "return as unfit for purpose" bit is that it *injects cost* into the supplier's balance sheet. If enough users do so, the bean-counters who make "pragmatic" decisions to limit support for their devices to only "latest Win/OS-X versions" may sit up and take notice, because any return is in effect a *double* charge: the manufacturer loses the profit from the first sale, and in addition incurs costs which are typically equal to whatever that profit was, just to handle the return.

Living without the intrinsically-crippled-but-almost-useful devices they are currently shipping is a sacrifice free software lovers might make to use that leverage.

The other choice is to spend one's own time, energy, and expertise (however painfully gained) to reverse engineer the protocols needed to update / configure those devices without requiring the proprietary software supplied by the manufacturer.

There is really no third choice available.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Here's an "other side of the coin" story. I was visiting my local music store, and I had the following convo with the owner (who is a friend of mine);

HIM: Here's an old MIDI interface made by Opcode. You can have it for free. I can't sell it.
ME: Why can't you sell it? Does it work?
HIM: It works... but only on Windows 95, 98, or ME. It won't run on XP or anything later. The company never made Win NT (Windows Driver Model, or WDM) drivers for it. I can't sell this without modern Windows driver support.

So, I took it home, and managed to find the old 95 driver. I know a bit about WDM development, so I ran it through a disassembler. That's when I noticed that it actually had an incomplete USBMIDI implementation. So I added some "quirks" to ALSA's usb audio driver, to accomodate for the missing support. And now it works on Linux. But for practical purposes, it doesn't work on Windows (because I never bothered writing that WDM support).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

There was some one from Behringer hanging out on FB today on a post about Behringer making music available to the poor or some such thing. I bought this issue up. They said their code is C and C+, so I said then it should be very simple for their developer to compile a Linux port. They didn't disagree so we shall see.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

bluzee wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:10 pm There was some one from Behringer hanging out on FB today on a post about Behringer making music available to the poor or some such thing. I bought this issue up. They said their code is C and C+, so I said then it should be very simple for their developer to compile a Linux port. They didn't disagree so we shall see.
This one, perchance?

https://www.facebook.com/Behringer/post ... 7153863914
Behringer-FB-Linux.png
Behringer-FB-Linux.png (54.75 KiB) Viewed 3650 times

Facebook | YouTube

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

tseaver wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:50 am
The majyk with the "return as unfit for purpose" bit is that it *injects cost* into the supplier's balance sheet. If enough users do so, the bean-counters who make "pragmatic" decisions to limit support for their devices to only "latest Win/OS-X versions" may sit up and take notice, because any return is in effect a *double* charge: the manufacturer loses the profit from the first sale, and in addition incurs costs which are typically equal to whatever that profit was, just to handle the return.
That's a very good point though it's a somewhat long-term strategy.

However, it could be very effective if several hundred people did it at the same time.
Living without the intrinsically-crippled-but-almost-useful devices they are currently shipping is a sacrifice free software lovers might make to use that leverage.
Aye, though limited budgets lead to limited alternative options - hence Behringer's dominance. Having said that, I've used a similar argument when trying to build support for industrial action despite the concomitant pay loss so it's safe to say I have some sympathy with it
The other choice is to spend one's own time, energy, and expertise (however painfully gained) to reverse engineer the protocols needed to update / configure those devices without requiring the proprietary software supplied by the manufacturer.
I'd be surprised if there weren't already a fair few people doing this but sharing their work would be problematic - I'd guess it would breach intellectual property rights but I'm not sure.

Facebook | YouTube

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:57 pmIs anybody aware of a coordinated campaign calling on hardware manufacturers to provide OS-independent firmware updates/patch management etc?
Sadly no. You may have seen the Universal Audio on Linux debacle. Someone from UA suggested a petition be started, and UA would support Linux if there were 10,000+ signatures. When the petition started to take off UA quickly backtracked and edited the post. The petition was intended to show how few Linux audio users there are. The petition is here.

It has 1689 signatures. I don't know if that is the sum total of Linux users interested in UA, or if the momentum broke when UA backtracked. Either way it's a small enough number for UA to completely ignore.

It seems there are not enough Linux audio users to put any meaningful pressure on manufacturers.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

When you already have to support more than one OS any way I don't understand why they don't just start out with a cross platform solution.

As for Behringer, I'm a little surprised they didn't come right out with a Linux release for their synths. I expect it would be trivial to compile a Linux port.
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

merlyn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:30 pm
Primeval_Mudd wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:57 pmIs anybody aware of a coordinated campaign calling on hardware manufacturers to provide OS-independent firmware updates/patch management etc?
Sadly no. You may have seen the Universal Audio on Linux debacle. Someone from UA suggested a petition be started, and UA would support Linux if there were 10,000+ signatures. When the petition started to take off UA quickly backtracked and edited the post. The petition was intended to show how few Linux audio users there are. The petition is here.

It has 1689 signatures. I don't know if that is the sum total of Linux users interested in UA, or if the momentum broke when UA backtracked. Either way it's a small enough number for UA to completely ignore.

It seems there are not enough Linux audio users to put any meaningful pressure on manufacturers.
Thanks for that bit of background. At least somebody tried, even if it didn't get very far.

Facebook | YouTube

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

bluzee wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 pm When you already have to support more than one OS any way I don't understand why they don't just start out with a cross platform solution.

As for Behringer, I'm a little surprised they didn't come right out with a Linux release for their synths. I expect it would be trivial to compile a Linux port.
Behringer could support their self-congratulatory rhetoric about bringing music to the low-income masses by championing Linux as a free OS alternative to the commercial WinMac hegemony.

Facebook | YouTube