What Can (and can't) YaBridge Do?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mdiemer
Established Member

What Can (and can't) YaBridge Do?

Post by mdiemer »

I have never used YaBridge, but there was a lot of buzz on the Reaper For Linux forum when I last tried to do music on Reaper/Linux. Since I do orchestral music, my options are more limited. I need high-end libraries like East West, Vienna etc. I did get Cinematic Strings working on the Kontakt Player in Wine, using the native Reaper for Linux, but that was my only success along those lines. (Well, actually I got Garritan going as well, which is good for percussion, at least good enough for my needs). To make a clean break from Sonar 8.5, I would need to be able to use all my libraries, or find ones I can use. I could get Cinematic Woodwinds and Cinematic Brass, to go along with Cinematic Strings, but that of course means spending about 700.00, and saying bye to the other stuff. Maybe that would that be all I need. And the money is not too great an ask for a high end library. Also, the Cine collection uses KP, so they may work as well, as should as library using KP. At least in theory.

So, what can YaBridge do for me? Can I run East West and Vienna, which require dongles? Or do I need to stay with the Kontakt Player the next time I try doing music on Reaper For Linux? I will try it again sometime, if I ever figure out how to make the fonts bigger. That's one of the reasons I had to stop, the headaches from eyestrain were just too much.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: What Can (and can't) YaBridge Do?

Post by tavasti »

mdiemer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:42 pm So, what can YaBridge do for me? Can I run East West and Vienna, which require dongles? Or do I need to stay with the Kontakt Player the next time I try doing music on Reaper For Linux? I will try it again sometime, if I ever figure out how to make the fonts bigger. That's one of the reasons I had to stop, the headaches from eyestrain were just too much.
Yabridge most likely can run any plugin you get installed and authorized. There is the catch: software iLok works for some people, but it can stop working (happened to me, needed to install whole wine-env again). Hardware dongles, that may be much harder. I would expect that running those dongle-softwares you need to run them in windows. If you want to run you DAW in Linux, it is possible to connect windows with netjack or https://audiogridder.com/

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

tavasti wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:10 pm
Yabridge most likely can run any plugin you get installed and authorized. There is the catch: software iLok works for some people, but it can stop working (happened to me, needed to install whole wine-env again). Hardware dongles, that may be much harder. I would expect that running those dongle-softwares you need to run them in windows. If you want to run you DAW in Linux, it is possible to connect windows with netjack or https://audiogridder.com/
Thanks for that tavasti. It may also be possible to transfer the dongles to be software-type. I do have ilok as well as elicenser. So there may be a chance. although it sure would be a hassle reinstalling Wine all over again. I'll look into audiogridder, thanks for the tip.

By the way, Sibelius is one of my three favorite composers. A true Giant of 20th Century music.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

mdiemer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:12 pm Thanks for that tavasti. It may also be possible to transfer the dongles to be software-type. I do have ilok as well as elicenser. So there may be a chance. although it sure would be a hassle reinstalling Wine all over again. I'll look into audiogridder, thanks for the tip.
Here is my thread about iLok plugins stopping working viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23634

And is good to remember that many windows users are saying 'never iLok plugins again'.

Edit: and I have also decided not to take any new iLok plugins for light reasons. Has to be great, unique and cheap plugin that I would jump to that trap again :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

tavasti wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:21 pm
mdiemer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:12 pm Thanks for that tavasti. It may also be possible to transfer the dongles to be software-type. I do have ilok as well as elicenser. So there may be a chance. although it sure would be a hassle reinstalling Wine all over again. I'll look into audiogridder, thanks for the tip.
Here is my thread about iLok plugins stopping working viewtopic.php?f=62&t=23634

And is good to remember that many windows users are saying 'never iLok plugins again'.
I checked out audiorigger. Wow, that is amazing. didn't know you could do that. I could possibly do it all in one computer, with Windows on one drive and Linux on another. No need for two computers to be running.

I'm having second thoughts about trying to duplicate in Linux what I do in Windows though. Maybe even dispense with notation-based composing, and standard orchestral libraries. My stuff will never be performed anyway. I'm a lousy mixer, so my mock-ups don't really do justice to my compositions. Throw in growing hearing loss, and maybe it's time to head off in a new direction...
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I doubt your negative descriptions of your skills are accurate, and if they are, just work to improve them.
Most of us here are aware of improvements we can work towards. Creating rewarding music isn't always easy,
but we can generate much of our own good luck. And it's fun and.

There probably is a very small slice of the population who can do what you do, and your perspective and experience
are unique. Get the best medical advice on your hearing, but don't sell yourself short, when there are such
wonderful tools with which to use your God-given abilities.
Cheers
mdiemer
Established Member

Post by mdiemer »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:51 am I doubt your negative descriptions of your skills are accurate, and if they are, just work to improve them.
Most of us here are aware of improvements we can work towards. Creating rewarding music isn't always easy,
but we can generate much of our own good luck. And it's fun and.

There probably is a very small slice of the population who can do what you do, and your perspective and experience
are unique. Get the best medical advice on your hearing, but don't sell yourself short, when there are such
wonderful tools with which to use your God-given abilities.
Cheers
Thank you for your encouraging words!