Parawave Rapid

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Parawave Rapid

Post by Largos »

rapid.jpg
rapid.jpg (231.11 KiB) Viewed 7798 times
Sharing that I got this running successfully using the wine bridge in Carla.

The synth comes in a few files. The main synth is installed via an .exe and there are libraries in a .msi format that are extracted. I could not get the main .exe file to work. I tried with the command line "wine <program name>" and Wine Windows Program Loader and they did not work. The .msi files however worked with the Wine Windows Program Loader but not the command line. If anyone has different results, please say.

As I couldn't install the plugin via wine, I tried installing it in Windows and copying the files across. This is the working solution, I found. I mirrored the vst location on m windows drive to that on my wine C:/ drive. The plugin opened but did gave an error about not finding the factory presets. Parawave replied to my e-mail and suggested that I make to sure to also mirror files from "C:/ProgramData/Parawave/Rapid" and that fixed the problem. C:/ProgramData is a hidden folder in Windows, so it evaded me :)

The .msi files work but unless you can get the .exe working as well in wine, the more simple solution is to also use Windows to extract then and mirror the location. In subfolders of ProgramData/Parawave/Rapid there are xml folders which you can edit the location of presets, if you wish to be more complicated but I haven't done that myself.

Performance wise, the plugin works fine. The only problem I have is the interface occasionally flickers, most often on changing presets. That may be specific to me. On the Carla DSP load meter a simple preset will run around 12 to 15% and the most complex one I could find, went up to around 40%. For something compare that with, Vital's Abbyssun preset in native vst3 hits nearly 60% for me.

You can get a demo of synth this from https://parawave-audio.com/rapid_synth