Black Screen

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Black Screen

Post by finotti »

When I run a couple of Windows plugins with wine + yabridge, I get simply a black screen. Most plugins are working fine with this setup.

The plugins that give me this problem are MODO Drum, IK Multimedia Comprexxor, and BIAS Amp. (The first two are from IK Multimedia, and I do have many of their plugins working fine.)

I'm using wine-staging version 6.20 in Debian Unstable. Here is graphics card info:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
           Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa tty: 133x69
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display
I've tried installing winetricks and using to install gdiplus, as I've seen some recommendations for this sort of problems here, but it did not work.

Any other suggestions on what I could try?
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Black Screen

Post by tavasti »

I have that black window-problem with Native Instruments 'Native Access'.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

If you're using a desktop pc with a video slot, I'd get an nvidia card that's around a year or two old, and use Ubuntu Studio. If the card is detected, there should appear an nVidia splashcreen during the boot process. The official nVidia 3D driver is probably our best bet for IK and other programs using advanced graphics driver capabilities, perhaps needlessly. That official driver can be installed by commands, if it is not in a particular distro's repository.

I've had zero experience with AMD graphics cards, so can't comment if they are effective in your case.

For a laptop, perhaps there is a helpful bios update? Are you dual-booting with a windows install to compare results on the same hardware?

There are wine version rollback instructions at the yabridge site, so you could update to wine 6.21, and if needed, roll back to the wine recommended at the yabridge site.

A lot depends how crucial those apps are for you, risk/work vs reward.

For an ampsim, I've been using BlueCat's Axiom for a few years, and love it. It hosts 3rd party vsts, but includes their Destructor and Late Replies integrated in the main gui which are killer apps in their own right.

Avlinux has a working wineasio by default, so you could try the windows reaper in wine, eleiminates a few extras,
while carrying some of it's own baggage.
Cheers.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I may be wrong on this but I've heard Wine-Staging 6.20+ broke a bunch of $**t again... not sure if it's directly related to WinVST's but FWIW I'm locked down at W-S 6.19
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

BIAS Amp2 has the black screen for a while. It worked at some point, but I don't remember in which version. Just tried the current demo, but still the same. The plugin itself seems to do something, except for the UI. I replaced the libEGL, libGLESv2 with older versions and removed the d3dcompiler dlls so it would use the system ones, but still the same.
There is a plugin called Scaler mentioned in the yabridge readme with a black screen. That was solved by setting it to software rendering, but BIAS Amp2 has no config or setting that I could find to do that and regedit doesn't start for some reason...
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

BIAS Amp embeds a Chromium web browser using CEF, and that notoriously doesn't work under Wine without some modifications. The other plugins should work perfectly fine though. I haven't noticed any regressions or plugins that used to work and no longer do on wine-tkg 6.21 myself. The only thing I'm aware of is selecting directories in certain directory selection popups being broken since Wine 6.18.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks, all, for your replies!
glowrak guy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 am If you're using a desktop pc with a video slot, I'd get an nvidia card that's around a year or two old, and use Ubuntu Studio. [snip]
Hmm... The chip shortage seems to have push the prices of video cards really high. I will keep this in mind, though. Thanks for the suggestion!
glowrak guy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:18 am For an ampsim, I've been using BlueCat's Axiom for a few years, and love it. It hosts 3rd party vsts, but includes their Destructor and Late Replies integrated in the main gui which are killer apps in their own right.
I did not know this one, but I will check it out! But the truth is that I am not that interested in BIAS Amp anyway. I use tamgamp and am pretty happy with it. I also got AmpliTube 5 running with wine/yabridge now too. I was disappointed with it at first, but using some of my own IRs and tweaking it a bit more it seems it actually might be a good option.
GMaq wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:54 am I may be wrong on this but I've heard Wine-Staging 6.20+ broke a bunch of $**t again... not sure if it's directly related to WinVST's but FWIW I'm locked down at W-S 6.19
I had the same problem with versions 6.0, 6.17, and 6.20. So, I guess it is not the version...
robbert-vdh wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:16 pm BIAS Amp embeds a Chromium web browser using CEF, and that notoriously doesn't work under Wine without some modifications. The other plugins should work perfectly fine though. I haven't noticed any regressions or plugins that used to work and no longer do on wine-tkg 6.21 myself. The only thing I'm aware of is selecting directories in certain directory selection popups being broken since Wine 6.18.
Thanks for the info! Again, I don't mind BIAS not working at all, and actually probably won't even try it anymore. But I'd really like to get MODO Drum and Comprexxor working. Do you have any suggestion on what to try or how to find the issue? Could be the video card, as glowrak guy suggests?

Again, thanks to all for your help!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

So, I decided to test it in my work computer, and it (MODO DRUM) ran just fine in it... Maybe indeed the video card in my home computer is too old.

Here is the home card:

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz
           2: 1920x1080~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
Here is the one at work:

$ inxi -G --display
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel CometLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1: 1920x1200~60Hz
           2: 1080x1920~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6
I guess I'll have to buy a video card...
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I bit the bullet and bought a video card... And, indeed, the plugins work now.

$ inxi -G --display
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: amdgpu resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz
    2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD VERDE (DRM 3.42.0 5.15.0-7.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 LLVM 12.0.1)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.6
The card is a VisionTek Radeon HD 7750. It hurts that I had to pay almost the launching price for a 10 year old card... But it works and it was just plug and play.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments!
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

finotti wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:44 pm I bit the bullet and bought a video card... And, indeed, the plugins work now.
Just got free MODO-drums, and I have black screen. Running on Intel integrated video, and in HP SFF computer, where only low profile cards are possible. Unless going this way:
paskaksvakioitu_crop.jpg
paskaksvakioitu_crop.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
I would have one low profile Nvidia GT218 [GeForce 210] but I assume that won't help me at all?

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love that!! I also have an HP SFF reseller machine that I use for an HTPC, the SFF does cut your Video choices big time (unless you are handy with a cutting wheel..)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I think tavasti's computer needs a mammogram.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

It'll keep your feet warm if nothing else.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:20 pm I think tavasti's computer needs a mammogram.
No, it is not my computer, but picture from net where someone was selling 'gaming computer' :-)

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tavasti wrote: someone was selling 'gaming computer'
It looks like a fire hazard. I suspect that computer would be more likely to be involved in "flames" than "games".

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.