IK Multimedia Software

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

IK Multimedia Software

Post by finotti »

Does anyone have any experience with running IK Multimedia software in Linux? They have a big sale right now (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/?utm_ ... y#products) and I was thinking maybe getting some of their software.

In particular, I was looking at MODO Bass, MODO Drums, Hammond B-3X, SampleTank 4, T-RackS 5 Deluxe, and AmpliTube 5.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
tavasti
Established Member

Re: IK Multimedia Software

Post by tavasti »

finotti wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm Does anyone have any experience with running IK Multimedia software in Linux? They have a big sale right now (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/?utm_ ... y#products) and I was thinking maybe getting some of their software.

In particular, I was looking at MODO Bass, MODO Drums, Hammond B-3X, SampleTank 4, T-RackS 5 Deluxe, and AmpliTube 5.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I have Amplitube free, also some paid Amplitube Amp (got it for free from one friend), Miroslav Philharmonik, Sampletank Free (and some 3rd party additions for it), Synthronik free. All work without problems.

Only problem I have had with their software has been their product manager, that does not work. So for installing something, need to go to their website and find 'other versions' or something like that, and download product installers directly.

That offer would be great if they would have something I would like to get, but luckily I cannot find anything that I find interesting :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

@tavasti: what version of wine are you using? And what bridge are you using?

I just tried to install AmpliTube 5. Apparently the installation went fine, but Carla cannot find it.

If I try to run the stand alone, I get:

Code: Select all

$ wine AmpliTube\ 5.exe 
013e:err:module:import_dll Library VCRUNTIME140_1.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\IK Multimedia\\AmpliTube 5\\AmpliTube 5.exe") not found
013e:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\IK Multimedia\\AmpliTube 5\\AmpliTube 5.exe" failed, status c0000135
BTW, I'm using wine-development from Debian Sid (version 6.0+repack-1) and Carla (carla-git) as bridge (version 5:2.4.1+git20211015).
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

finotti wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:29 pm @tavasti: what version of wine are you using? And what bridge are you using?
Versions and how I launch stuff. When using plugins in daw, I am using yabridge.

Code: Select all

tavasti@hermo:~$ wine --version
wine-6.20 (Staging)
tavasti@hermo:~$ carla --version
Using Carla version 2.4.1
  Python version: 3.6.9
  Qt version:     5.9.5
  PyQt version:   5.10.1
  Binary dir:     /usr/lib/carla
  Resources dir:  /usr/share/carla/resources
tavasti@hermo:~$ export | grep WINE
declare -x WINEPREFIX="/data/store/tavasti/wine-orchestra"
tavasti@hermo:~$ wine wine-orchestra/Program\ Files/IK\ Multimedia/AmpliTube\ 5/AmpliTube\ 5.exe 
tavasti@hermo:~$ carla-single win64 vst wine-orchestra/VST/AmpliTube\ 5.dll
Amplitube seems to run ok, but haven't used it really. Presets are annoying, because getting 'models not owned, not loading'. Would need possibility to filter away all presets that are not fully working.

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks! I will try going for wine-staging and yabridge.

I appreciate your help!
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm That offer would be great if they would have something I would like to get, but luckily I cannot find anything that I find interesting :-)
And in fact, I found there something interesting: Syntronik single instruments. When you get 24 for free, getting one of them would give you full Syntronik. But even with that, I decided not to take this offer, too much money for me.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I read that a great value is included in the massive preset collection that comes with their MixBox.
They apparently cover a huge range of effects chains that pro musicians have created and relied on
in their personal setups, that now are available to IK customers. The world is not short on effects,
but knowing what order of effects creates a classic result, is inherantly valuable for some types
of music producers.
Cheers
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Just to confirm: most of the IK Multimedia software does work great (at least so far). I just had to install wine-staging (currently at version 6.17). I am still using Carla, but will install yabridge soon, as it looks great.

As glowrak guy said, you need to download from "My Products", "Past Releases" (it does include the latest!). Then, to validate you do need to "IK Product Manager". It doesn't seem to be able to download, but it does authenticate the products!

I've tested MODO Bass, AmpliTube, SampleTank, T-RackS, MiniBox, Hammond B-3X, and they all worked.

On the other hand, MODO Drum installs and "runs", but I can only see a black screen. I need to try to figure out how to make it work... (I will probably create a new topic soon.)

I've only tested them briefly, but I quite like them so far.

Thanks, again, @tavasti and @glowrak guy for the help!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I think IK's black screens are because of insufficient linux graphics card support. I see terminal complaints about 3D shaders and the like sometimes, so perhaps a newer nVidia card and installing nVidia's 3D driver in Ubuntu Studio would help.
I may go that route soon.

I think the official 3D driver was a default a while back, when an nvidia card was detected at installation, at least,(as mine was) but for me, updates have somehow landed me back at nuveau, with inferior results. grrr :evil: grrr
:roll: :wink:
k410
Established Member

Post by k410 »

finotti wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:17 pm As glowrak guy said, you need to download from "My Products", "Past Releases" (it does include the latest!). Then, to validate you do need to "IK Product Manager". It doesn't seem to be able to download, but it does authenticate the products!
Thank you (and glowrak guy)! That worked for me just now. 🥳