wi vst's with Carla and Reaper`

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

isbuck
Established Member

wi vst's with Carla and Reaper`

Post by isbuck »

`Hello. I'm feeling a little lost. I'I've moved all my music stuff from Win to Linux and I've got Carla running on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS and I'd like to start using the vst's I've collected over the years. I've installed wine rt and the carla-windows-bridge packages and all seems to work, no errors. When I place a VST2 .dll (in this case Viking from Blamsoft) in my /home/ian/.vst folder and run Carla Refresh and Scan, Carla finds the dll and appears to scan it. However Viking still will not appear in the add plugin dialogue, nor does it appear in the Reaper FX list. Have I missed a step or is this particular dll not compatible? Any help much appreciated.
Thanks - Ian
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: wi vst's with Carla and Reaper`

Post by Toejam76 »

Maybe put your dlls in the .wine/drive_c/somevstfolder and scan again. The .vst and .vst3 is for native Linux VSTs and yabridge .so files.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: wi vst's with Carla and Reaper`

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

In Reaper go to: "Options > Preferences > Plugins > VST". In that window you can point to the location of VST's. Separate multiple paths by semicolons.

I think that Reaper for Linux can't handle Windows VST's (only Linux native VST's). I think it will only handle "bridged" VST's. If you do not yet know what that is then do some researching or ask in a separate topic here.

You can also use Carla to bridge Windows VST's to Linux in Reaper (and other DAWs that support LV2 plugins). In Reaper, from your VST list, choose the LV2 plugin called "Carla Rack". Then, in Carla Rack, choose your VST.

Good luck! :)