[solved] Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Toejam76
Established Member

[solved] Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Post by Toejam76 »

The VST 2 and 3 plugins of Emulator II and ARP2600 load with yabridge in Reaper. Carla only finds the VST2 one for some reason.
Everything works fine then after a while in the console a lot of those messages appear:

Code: Select all

[Emulator II V-5MPSgiqx] [Wine STDERR] 0110:fixme:unwind:virtual_unwind calling personality routine in system library not supported yet
17:05:47 [Emulator II V-5MPSgiqx] [Wine STDERR] terminate called recursively
17:05:47 [Emulator II V-5MPSgiqx] [Wine STDERR] 0110:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 1808 bytes in thread 0110 addr 0x7bc52143 stack 0x208f0 (0x20000-0x21000-0x120000)
There is also an invisible window "message manager popup" which cant be closed (using KDE).
Then clicking outside the plugin window lets the UI freeze and Reaper becomes unresponsive. Also drag and drop of samples from Reaper's media explorer or from the Dolphin KDE filemanager doesn't work, but adding them manually works.

EDIT: The current Arturia plugins need "Enable CSMT for better graphic performance (deprecated) disabled
and "Hide Wine version from applications" enabled.
Tested with wine-staging 6.14 , Reaper 6.33, Ubuntu Studio 21.04 (kernel 5.11)
Last edited by Toejam76 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Post by robbert-vdh »

I'm not familiar with this particular plugin, but I do know that a lot of other JUCE-based Arturia plugins require the 'Hide Wine version from application' option in winecfg's staging tab to be checked or they'll freeze while interacting with certain knobs. (yabridge's readme has a couple more of these plugin-specific fixes and workarounds that are good to be aware of)

Not being able to drag-and-drop files onto a plugin is a REAPER bug. REAPER steals the drop so you can't drag files onto any plugin, native or otherwise. Yabridge does actually include a workaround for this with the editor_force_dnd compatibility option.
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Post by Toejam76 »

Yup thanks a ton. That did it! All the Arturia plugins seem to have the same issue. After clicking a knob or fader in the UI, it stays in it's place and a invisible popup appears. With the wine-staging fix it works. I am experimenting with the compability options to make the Native Instruments UIs for Guitar Rig 6 a bit smoother. They work, but are sometimes a bit sluggish in response. All those new plugins are way too fancy anyway with all the eyecandy and cloud bullshit imho.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm I'm not familiar with this particular plugin, but I do know that a lot of other JUCE-based Arturia plugins require the 'Hide Wine version from application' option in winecfg's staging tab to be checked or they'll freeze while interacting with certain knobs. (yabridge's readme has a couple more of these plugin-specific fixes and workarounds that are good to be aware of)
[...]
I want to use the trail version of Arturia's VCS3 emulator (a VST). Indeed, it crashes when I try to move a knob. However, I use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 'Focal Fossa' so I don't have Wine Staging and I dont have a tab called 'Staging' in winecfg. Trying to install wine-staging brings me into dependency hell. Do you have any idea how I can activate "Hide Wine version from application"? I wonder if that'll solve my problem.
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: [solved] Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Post by Toejam76 »

There shouldn't be a dependency problem. I got it from the winehq repos. I think the Ubuntu ones are really old.
The current Arturia plugins need "Enable CSMT for better graphic performance (deprecated) disabled
and "Hide Wine version from applications" enabled in winecfg.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: [solved] Arturia Emulator II (and others) are really crashy here so far. WINE feature missing?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Toejam76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:44 am There shouldn't be a dependency problem. I got it from the winehq repos. I think the Ubuntu ones are really old.
The current Arturia plugins need "Enable CSMT for better graphic performance (deprecated) disabled
and "Hide Wine version from applications" enabled in winecfg.
As it turnes out I accidentally activated the Ubuntu 21.04 instead of the 20.04 repository. That'll put you in dependency hell alright. :oops:

FYI here's how I did it now. I activated the winehq repo as described on the official Wine site (link). For Ubuntu 20.04 Focal (the current long term support distro) this comes down to:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'
To run 'ye olde sudo apt-get update one needs to add [trusted=yes] to /etc/apt/sources.list (link to info). Now you can install winehq-staging (NOT only wine-staging!). Then you, indeed, have a tab called "Staging" in winecfg and you can activate:
  • Enable CSMT for better graphic performance (deprecated)
  • Hide Wine version from applications
And By Golly, the VCS3 (from Pink Floyd's 'On The Run') by Arturia works! Thanks for the tips everybody. :)
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

In wine 6.19 staging the "Enable CSMT for better graphic performance" option can be enabled again without any UI parts glitching out. I keep the "Hide Wine version" option enabled, because "Windows 7" seems to work for all the plugins I have, but officially Arturia plugins supports Windows 8.1 or later.
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

This solution made my Arturia preamp plugins work! However, the UI is "flickering" (momentarily black) when I click and release any controls. Anyone else experiencing this?
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

No flickering, but the plugin window opens as a black box before it shows the UI and after that it's fine.